UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 26th Mar 2024, 3:46 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Opening a glued/welded wall-wart.

Had to do this on one recently, the flex having fatigued off at the point where it came out through the extremely hard moulded-on plastic grommet-thing.

The 2 halves of the case were welded together, but I managed to split the weld by squeezing the case in a rubber-jawed vice but with a piece of 1/4-inch diameter rod [old potentiometer spindle] laid along the weld-line on one side, so the pressure of the vice-jaws was concentrated just at the join on that side..

Tighten it up, a satisfying crack!

Swap the rod over to the other side, repeat the process, another crack! And the top cover then came off easily, allowing me to shorten the flex by a few inches, replace the grommet thing with a few layers of adhesive-lined sleeving [my nickname isn't 'Captain Heatshrink' without reason], reattach the wires, then superglue the cover back on the case.

Result! My little Vax 'Gator' cordless vacuum-cleaner, used for cleaning up wire-strippings and solder-splashes in the worskhop, is taking charge again.
Old 26th Mar 2024, 5:51 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Opening a glued/welded wall-wart.

Ah, those of us who worship at the shrine of high-speed minidrills would have reached for a slitting wheel to do that job.

I've done some amazing jobs with those wheels, normally about 30mm diameter. I have three minidrills, but my current favourite is the Parkside Li-ion rechargeable from Lidl; a strong contender for the position of "Best £16 I ever spent".

B
Old 26th Mar 2024, 6:21 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have one of those old woodworking vices that slide open quick to maybe 8-10 inches. I will give it a go next time. The advantage over dremel is no material loss, and a lot quicker.

John.
Old 26th Mar 2024, 6:28 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've got a "Middddle of Liiddle" handheld thingy with a slitting wheel, but have always found that on plastics it tends to work by melting them rather than cutting. Maybe I'm running it too fast?

The big thing about cracking the welds - as "60_oldjohn" notes - is that no material is removed/destroyed in the process, so the two halves of the case go back together cleanly with only the thinnest film of superglue along the join.
Old 26th Mar 2024, 6:44 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I also like to crack them open as it minimises damage to the case. If I have to glue the case back together after the repair I normally solvent-weld the join with dichloromethane. But if there's room I'll use a plastic pillar and screws to hold the thing together.

Sometimes I re-house the 'guts' in a plastic project box, adding a mains lead and plug if necessary.

This is all for devices used in my own workshop, so approval requirements don't apply. I do make it as safe as possible, e.g. using a plastic case and/or pillar so a stray wire can't make accessible metal live.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2024, 6:53 pm   #6
fetteler
Octode

Yep, the squeezing in a vice trick works for me every time. Neat and quick.

Steve.
Old 26th Mar 2024, 8:17 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
If I have to glue the case back together after the repair I normally solvent-weld the join with dichloromethane.
But surely, after using the "Middddle of Liiddle" minidrill and slitting wheel, the repair is completed using the "Middddle of Liiddle" glue gun (possibly, the best £3.50 I've ever spent) .

I've never had plastic melt on to slitting wheels, but it often seems to happen when using a burr or arbor.

B
Old 26th Mar 2024, 9:17 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

I shall try the vice method the next time I need to open a sealed unit. My usual method has involved exploring the seam with an old and rather blunt Stanley disposable craft knife to find a point where the seal is weak, followed by a couple of WWII- vintage army pen-knives to lever it apart.

Last edited by emeritus; 26th Mar 2024 at 9:18 pm. Reason: typo
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2024, 11:25 pm   #9
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

I was shown that to do the vice trick, you put it in diagonally and apply pressure to opposite corners.

The result is the same though, a nice satisfying pop or crack when it seperates.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 10:14 am   #10
paulsherwin

If you don't have a suitable vice, you can often crack them open by thumping them with a rubber mallet.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:50 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

This is my slightly more resource heavy version of Tanuki's method - two flat metal bars stuck, using double sided tape, to opposite upper right and lower left long sides of the PSU. It obviously works best on ones which are essentially rectangles, as a lot of laptop PSUs are.

Doing it this way ensures that a lot of the sideways shear force is exerted on the seam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_cracking.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	295470  
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 5:17 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I threw a dead one into the corner of the garage where my makeshift WEEE pile is.

It hit the concrete floor and burst open... so I rescued it, repaired it (baked smoothing electrolytic) and glued it back together. Still working now (DAB radio in kitchen).
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 5:29 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
If you don't have a suitable vice, you can often crack them open by thumping them with a rubber mallet.
Don't do this if the owner/customer is watching , but in an emergency you can often get into them by grabbing the leads about 30cm from the unit and swinging it onto a carpetted floor (!).

I repaired the PSU (not strictly a wall wart as it has a mains lead/plug) for a Sanyo dictating machine today. It was already coming apart and took little more force to crack it open. I then made a pillar with M3 tapped holes in the ends and drilled a hole in each case half to put it back togther again after replacing the dried-up smoothing capacitor.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 11:48 pm   #14
emeritus
Dekatron

A couple of months ago I levered a dead Alcatel phone charger apart that had been intermittent before its demise. I had hoped it would be just a failed electrolytic, but I found an open circuit (fusible) resistor and a plastic transistor whose type I could not identify on account of the large hole in the side where the type code would have been printed. The board was charred so it went in the bin.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2024, 12:32 pm   #15
winston_1
Heptode

Some interesting ideas there. I must admit I’ve always used a junior hacksaw along the seams but I shall try the vice idea next time.
winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2024, 7:27 pm   #16
Refugee
Dekatron

I normally work my way round the seam with the smallest hammer I have got with the blade from a broken flat blade screw driver.
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2024, 9:41 pm   #17
Phil__G
Octode

I find sticking it in the freezer for 10 minutes makes the plastic crack more easily...
Phil__G is online now   Reply With Quote