UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2021, 4:03 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Asbestos in Old AVO's?

I'm a member of a forum not related to radio matters, and one member has queried whether there were ever asbestos packing pieces inside the battery compartment (model not specified). Anyone ever seen such things?

B
Old 18th Dec 2021, 4:19 pm   #2

Default Re: Asbestos in Old Avo's ?

I have never seen asbestos in an AVO.

Old 18th Dec 2021, 4:42 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

There's certainly none in mine. He has what looks like some kind of fibre board about 4mm thick in the bat box, either side of where the D cell slots in.

B
Old 18th Dec 2021, 9:04 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I've also never seen asbestos in an AVO meter, and there's no reason why it would be used. I'm certainly no expert though.
Old 18th Dec 2021, 9:34 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

Not to my knowledge. For one thing there were far more suitable materials available. Can't exclude the possibility of the insertion of a foreign object by a fettler from the past, of course.

The only place i have seen asbestos is on the discrete heavy duty DC current shunt accessories.

Dave
Old 18th Dec 2021, 10:44 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Asbestos in Old AVO's?

Perhaps it's panic induced by the joint pressures of the Season and the pandemic; the picture that was posted looks nothing like any asbestos I've ever seen.

B
Old 19th Dec 2021, 11:43 am   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Asbestos in Old AVO's?

Some early Avos did have asbestos rope gaskets before the rubber ones were available. As for the packing in the battery compartment, if it's a hard fibre looking pad on an early model, then it's possible. The current shunts from the test range extension kits certainly had asbestos under the elements.

Last edited by Sinewave; 19th Dec 2021 at 11:53 am.
Closed Thread