UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2021, 10:23 pm   #1
RogerEvans
Hexode

Default Repair Shop - Shoddy Repair of Hornby Tank Engine

Today, Christmas Eve, there was a repair of a OO gauge Hornby tank engine of late 50s vintage. I was not concentrating too closely but the repaired engine looked very wrong with excessive front end overhang. If memory is correct, I had that same engine which was a 2-6-2 or 2-6-4 and this one was missing its front bogie.

Just another example of falling standards with our national broadcaster!

Happy Christmas everyone

Roger
Old 24th Dec 2021, 10:41 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Repair Shop - Shoddy Repair of Hornby Tank Engine

Aha! That's exactly what i thought. They could easily have found or fabricated an axle, for sure.

Previously I let them off the Thunderbolt misidentified as a Spitfire, as they were led by the customer on that occasion!

Dave
Old 24th Dec 2021, 11:14 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Repair Shop - Shoddy Repair of Hornby Tank Engine

Hi,
I was surprised by the repairer saying that the wheels wouldn't turn.
Well, they wouldn't as the motor drives the axle via a worm gear, and that can't transfer power in the opposite direction.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 24th Dec 2021, 11:24 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

There was a lot wrong, as usual, with that 'repairer' or is it the script that's wrong.
'It's difficult to get apart' - it's not as there is only one screw. As mentioned the gears can't be turned by the wheels. 'Just fitting the magnet' - no as the magnet is already there, he was fitting the pole pieces. But I guess he doesn't know the difference.
Such a shame that what could be an interesting, intelligent, enlightening program gets it so wrong, time and time again.
Old 24th Dec 2021, 11:32 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

This is just that bit too far off the track for a vintage radio forum. We'd better end it here

David