UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2022, 11:34 am   #61
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Mains filtering

I want to experiment with large ferrite toroids by making multiple turns of the mains cables on individual sets through them. Having looked on the internet and auction site there seems to be a bewildering amount of shapes, sizes and types. Can anyone suggest a starter for ten to begin with please? They're generally £10 or less so it's not an expensive experiment.
Old 2nd May 2022, 1:03 pm   #62
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The government will be closing 2G/3G entirely by 2033.

But in England, both SMETS1 and SMETS2 smart meters currently use the same 2G/3G comms (comms methods are different in Scotland).

They will have to be upgraded in due course to move to (probably) 5G.

Craig
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:18 pm   #63
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
The government will be closing 2G/3G entirely by 2033.

But in England, both SMETS1 and SMETS2 smart meters currently use the same 2G/3G comms (comms methods are different in Scotland).

They will have to be upgraded in due course to move to (probably) 5G.

Craig
Yes 3G is closing by next year, 2G will remain for a while (as you say) and 3G equipment will revert to 2G operation allowing people time to upgrade their old equipment. I tried to explain to the poster that they may want to change his meter because of this.It may be coincidence but I have one of the newer meters (with a separate transmitter/modem ) and don't suffer interference unless the radio is right next to a computer.
Old 2nd May 2022, 11:29 pm   #64
Radio Wrangler

Smart meters and the ending of cellphone formats have had fairly recent airings on the forum. Can we leave this thread to the mains filtering issue, please?

David
Old 3rd May 2022, 6:50 am   #65
stevehertz
Dekatron

I've ordered a large type 31 ferrite ring with an internal diameter of 35mm so I will be able to pass the mains cable from a set through it several times. Let's see what happens.
Old 3rd May 2022, 8:29 am   #66
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There is an improved design that adds a second ferrite attenuator immediately after the large one, and adds a conventional filter afterwards, here:

https://gm3sek.com/2019/10/11/clean-up-your-shack-2019/

Craig
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:01 am   #67
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Smart meters and the ending of cellphone formats have had fairly recent airings on the forum. Can we leave this thread to the mains filtering issue, please?

David

..I think I stuck to the subject of the thread .. which I assumed was discovering sources of interference.. but ok I'll shut up.
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 8:38 am   #68
wd40addict
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Once I have at least one receiver up and running, I'll get the mains filter built and do some tests - which I'll report here.

Craig
Hi Craig, did you ever get round to trying this?
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 4:10 pm   #69
emeritus
Dekatron

A couple of years ago there was a reader's letter in the IET journal E&T, recounting how, when the writer had been staying with relatives over Christmas, they had had a problem with mains-borne interference from the power supply of a new acqisition. The writer, not having access to ferrite rings, had the idea of using the wire that had kept sparking wine corks in place. Apparently a ring made from three or four twisted together with the flex threaded though it, effected a complete cure.
Closed Thread