UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2022, 4:17 pm   #1
Posty07
Diode

Default HMV 2046 Amp problem, or is it me..?

Hi all,

Not sure if it's a problem with the amp or if it's just the norm, but when playing records with defined bass, if turned up (in this case anywhere close to half way) the bass drops out completely with a crackle.

If I keep it turned down to just above a quarter it seems fine.

Circuit board looks ok, no leaky caps etc..

Just wondering if it's a common issue?

Cheers
Old 21st May 2022, 4:26 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: HMV 2046 Amp problem, or is it me..?

This doesn't sound like normal behaviour. If you turn the volume up excessively the sound will clip and distort, but it shouldn't change character dramatically.

There are two things I can think of - you may have faulty speakers, or you may have a dirty contact on a switch or control. The latter can produce some very strange symptoms.
Old 21st May 2022, 5:16 pm   #3
Posty07
Diode

I have tried cleaning the contacts on some of the switches but without removing them fully I'm not sure how good of a job contact cleaner does.

It does very much sound like it's clipping the low end, could it just be that they're 'loud' records?

I am working with a pretty bad cartridge (waiting on another arriving) but I wouldn't have thought it would be that if it goes away when turned down?
Old 21st May 2022, 5:26 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Try cleaning the Bass potentiometer with Servisol. Work it in well.
Old 21st May 2022, 5:46 pm   #5
Posty07
Diode

Found the issue.. it's the speakers, I'm using Bose companion which clearly expects a low line input. As soon as I tried headphones, it was absolutely fine!
Closed Thread