UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2021, 4:05 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Wartime Civilian Receiver.

During WW2 timber was in short supply, they raided lots of estates and timber plantations that were planted just after WW1 by the Forestry Commission and lots of timber was thinned early or felled before it's normal rotation period.

Boxwood was used for rulers and T squares amongst other things.

Lawrence.
Old 17th May 2021, 2:11 pm   #22
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: Wartime Civilian Receiver.

Well the case turned out quite well, three coats of Danish oil & then beeswax brought it up. The speaker cloth (original) survived & equally came out ok. a fair few of the old rubber covered wires were crumbling a had to be replaced, the cotton covering was rotten too. I attempted to make something that looked approximately right by using 16/0.2 PTFE wire covered with coloured nylon mesh tubing. It's not perfect but it looks the part. I replaced the original mains switch as on a Megger it wasn't what I would consider safe, less than 10M from the contacts to the metalwork at 500VDC. Luckily I had some new ones which look about the same. A panel mounted fuse holder was added as well. A new 3-core mains lead & chassis earthed. Quick check with the Megger between live/neutral together & earth & all well, over 250Mohm at 250VDC, not bad for a 75+ year old transformer. With no valves in the chassis it was brought up gently on the variac & isolating transformer. All good, voltages where they should be, left on for half an hour, transformer cold, even better! Came the final moment with all the original valves in & fingers crossed it came back to life, sounds good too via the pantry TX. At least the Westector was ok! It tunes in a few other MW stations as the rest of my sets do, not bad on about 15 feet of wire indoors, overall I'm very pleased. Quite an easy set to work on, Actually looks quite pleasing too despite it's "orange crate" origins! It's been running now for a few hours without a problem, thoroughly enjoying the sound. It hasn't got its original OPT, looks like an RS "universal" from a few years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_160306.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	234257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210517_114644.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	234258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210517_114707.jpg
Views:	74