UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2021, 8:06 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Question TESTGEAR MC/12 and FM Alignment Help

Good Evening,

Recently I bought an 'MC/12 Alignment Analyser' by TESTGEAR (Acton) LTD from a local member. It is a sweep generator that covers 400KHz - 80MHz and can be used to measure small capacitors. I bought it intending to learn sweep alignment of FM receivers.

Not a great deal seems to be known about the MC/12. It came up a few times on this forum. It looked to often feature in Practical Wireless/Television during the '50s and '60s.

My first question would be: does anybody have any practical, hands on experience with the MC/12?

My MC/12 responded well to a good clean and service. The front bezel was easily removed. T-Cut and wax got it looking like it was new. The rear case was treated the same way after being washed. This removed the light smattering of rust (?) that was breaking through the paint in some places.

I checked the RF output and was satisfied that the unit was outputting the signals it should be. With my 'scope cranked all the way up, I could see that the sweep was functioning when the 'sweep amp' control was manipulated.

Satisfied that things were working OK, I changed out the Belling Lee connectors for BNC and the Wander sockets for 4mm Banana sockets.

After building a diode probe, I was ready to try aligning a set. I picked out my Roberts R700 as it had sweep alignment instructions in its Trader Sheet.

I have followed the instructions up to the end of step two. I'm not sure what I should be expecting to be displayed on my 'scope. I photographed what I saw. I expected a typical curve. My 'scope is in XY mode. Everything is set up as per the instructions and diagram.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	231923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-04-16 18-53-12.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	231924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3874.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	231925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-04-16 19-54-21.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	231926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3852.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	231927  

Old 17th Apr 2021, 11:06 am   #2
frsimen
Heptode

Default Re: TESTGEAR MC/12 and FM Alignment Help

This appears to have only one valve, so it is likely to be a double triode, one half as a simple RF oscillator the other acting as a reactance valve. From information on this forum, the X output is a 50Hz sine wave.

To avoid any phase shifts which will confuse matters, both channels of your oscilloscope will need to be DC coupled. The diode probe won't work properly if it is feeding directly into a capacitor with no resistive path to the signal return. The photo shows that you are using AC coupling.

When the diode probe is connected to the Roberts, without the wobbulator connected, just check that the IF strip isn't oscillating on its own, using your oscilloscope in normal timebase mode. Is the waveform in the photos showing the output of the wobbulator, or the signal at the test point in the Roberts?

I would have expected to see a resonance type curve being displayed, what the photo is showing is nothing like that.

You should hear a 50Hz hum from the radio when the wobbulator is tuned to 10.7MHz, the level and distortion of the hum should be adjustable by the frequency sweep amp. At the correct sweep setting for alignment, the hum should be rather distorted sounding.

Paula
Old 17th Apr 2021, 3:19 pm   #3
OldTechFan96
Octode

Your right about the valve, it's marked 12AX7.

I'll keep the 'scope DC coupled.

When the wobbulator (with diode probe still in place) is disconnected the radio receives OK. No sequels or oscillating.

The waveform in photograph 3 shows the output on the collector of TR5 via the top end of R20. The scope was connected, via the diode probe, to R20. The wobbulator was connected to the aerial.

I set the wobbulator bang on to 10.7MHz with my frequency counter.

When I adjust the frequency sweep amp I start to hear 50Hz though the radio's speaker. It does change as the knob is rotated. With the amp turned all of the way up two curve looking things appear.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	231987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	231988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	231989  
Old 17th Apr 2021, 5:23 pm   #4
Andrewausfa
Octode

Very interested to see how you get on with this, I have one and tried all sorts but could never get a sensible waveform on the scope.

Andrew
Old 17th Apr 2021, 6:18 pm   #5
frsimen
Heptode

That looks fairly promising. What you could do is connect the output of the Advance E2 to the Ext Ref in socket. Set the Advance to 10.7MHz and that should give you a reference pip on the display. You will need to play around with the output level for best results. It's possible that the centre modulation sweeping isn't exactly centred on 10.7MHz once the sweep width is increased. You can use the Advance to check that the upper and lower frequencies on the display to confirm that the frequency sweep is linear. If it isn't, don't adjust anything on the Roberts!

You can afford to reduce the frequency sweep width, as it will be easier to adjust if it appears wider on the screen. That may help to reduce the double image too. I suspect the Z output socket is to allow blanking of the oscilloscope trace during the flyback period and probably would remove the double image entirely. Your Hameg doesn't appear to have Z modulation capability, so you can't use that. What you have to do instead is to pick one of the images and ignore the second one.

Is your diode probe connected directly to the Roberts, or are you using some sort of connecting lead, I can't tell from the photo. The diode probe must be connected directly, to avoid problems with stray capacitance which will skew the shape of the pattern that you see on the oscilloscope.

Paula
Old 17th Apr 2021, 7:27 pm   #6
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Some wobulators are sync to the mains waveform, some have there own frquency sweep arrangements, which should preferably around 20 to 30 Hz I think. Your timebase is too fast, but surely it should be in XY mode (I have forgotten, 40+ years since I aligned a radio) such that as the trace moves over the screen, it displays the diode probe output on the A channel. When it reaches the end of sweep, you may or may not (depends on scope and setup) see the retrace. I think you just need to get your scope settings correct. There was a series of articles about alignment in Television magazine in the '70s, (by Harold Peters) get hold of that and read it, then you should get a handle on it all.
Les.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 17th Apr 2021 at 7:29 pm. Reason: Added citation.
Old 17th Apr 2021, 9:18 pm   #7
ronbryan
Octode

Some wobbulators e.g. Metrix 210, have a retrace phase adjustment to line up the forward and reverse frequency sweeps, or as another option, the retrace sweep can be blanked.

You might find that a small adjustment to the carrier centre frequency will line up both traces better if you have neither of the above options.

Injecting the 10.7MHz carrier into the external aerial circuit, as you are doing, (I agree Roberts suggest this), will cause the swept IF signal to be attenuated by the tuner IF trap. In some circumstances it may be better to inject the signal via a blocking capacitor a little further down the IF chain, as a smaller signal amplitude can then be used.

Ron
Old 18th Apr 2021, 12:13 pm   #8
OldTechFan96
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewausfa View Post
Very interested to see how you get on with this, I have one and tried all sorts but could never get a sensible waveform on the scope.
I read your thread about the MC/12 and was curious if you'd been able to get it going. I'd say that the two problems we are facing are:

1. No circuit diagram. I've never traced out a circuit before but we could try and cobble something together?

2. We have no idea of how well this generator performs. How good is it at its intended function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsimen View Post
That looks fairly promising. What you could do is connect the output of the Advance E2 to the Ext Ref in socket. Set the Advance to 10.7MHz and that should give you a reference pip on the display. You will need to play around with the output level for best results. It's possible that the centre modulation sweeping isn't exactly centred on 10.7MHz once the sweep width is increased. You can use the Advance to check that the upper and lower frequencies on the display to confirm that the frequency sweep is linear. If it isn't, don't adjust anything on the Roberts!

You can afford to reduce the frequency sweep width, as it will be easier to adjust if it appears wider on the screen. That may help to reduce the double image too. I suspect the Z output socket is to allow blanking of the oscilloscope trace during the flyback period and probably would remove the double image entirely. Your Hameg doesn't appear to have Z modulation capability, so you can't use that. What you have to do instead is to pick one of the images and ignore the second one.

Is your diode probe connected directly to the Roberts, or are you using some sort of connecting lead, I can't tell from the photo. The diode probe must be connected directly, to avoid problems with stray capacitance which will skew the shape of the pattern that you see on the oscilloscope.
I'll feed in a marker signal from my E2 and I definitely won't adjust any coils. The double image only starts to appear at high sweep levels IIRC. Your correct about my 'scope not having Z in. There is a blanking plate for it though. The diode probe circuit was built into an ABS box and has BNC connectors on each side. A 'scope lead connects to the input of the probe and the output is fed to the 'scope via a BNC cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
Some wobulators are sync to the mains waveform, some have there own frquency sweep arrangements, which should preferably around 20 to 30 Hz I think. Your timebase is too fast, but surely it should be in XY mode (I have forgotten, 40+ years since I aligned a radio) such that as the trace moves over the screen, it displays the diode probe output on the A channel. When it reaches the end of sweep, you may or may not (depends on scope and setup) see the retrace. I think you just need to get your scope settings correct. There was a series of articles about alignment in Television magazine in the '70s, (by Harold Peters) get hold of that and read it, then you should get a handle on it all.
I'll see if I can measure the frequency of the X output. I'll also have a look my 'scope settings. Thanks for the mention of Harold Peters. I found all four parts of 'The Art of Alignment' though worldradiohistory.com and have compiled them into a 22 page PDF which will be attached to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
Some wobbulators e.g. Metrix 210, have a retrace phase adjustment to line up the forward and reverse frequency sweeps, or as another option, the retrace sweep can be blanked.

You might find that a small adjustment to the carrier centre frequency will line up both traces better if you have neither of the above options.

Injecting the 10.7MHz carrier into the external aerial circuit, as you are doing, (I agree Roberts suggest this), will cause the swept IF signal to be attenuated by the tuner IF trap. In some circumstances it may be better to inject the signal via a blocking capacitor a little further down the IF chain, as a smaller signal amplitude can then be used.
I'll try making slight adjustments to the centre frequency and see how that changes things. I had it set to 10.7MHz yesterday and did not touch it. I'll also try injecting the signal slightly down the chain.

I have attached an instruction sheet for the MC/12 which members may find useful. It mentions the Z output.

Also find 'The Art of Alignment'.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 18th Apr 2021, 12:22 pm   #9
Station X

Have you tried manually sweeping the injected IF frequency (sic) to see if a peak is displayed on the scope?

ie Turning off the sweep function of the signal generator and SLOWLY turning the tuning knob from say 10.5 to 10.9 MHz whilst observing the trace on the scope. This will show whether the SG, diode probe and scope are working correctly.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Apr 2021, 12:50 pm   #10
frsimen
Heptode

The scope probe is going to be introducing a lot of capacitance which will upset the tuning of L13. That explains the very lop sided response. The diode probe must connect by the shortest possible leads to the test point - think mm, not metres here!

The X out signal is derived from the mains transformer and will be 50Hz. There aren't enough valves for it to be anything else!

Paula
Old 19th Apr 2021, 2:44 pm   #11
OldTechFan96
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Have you tried manually sweeping the injected IF frequency (sic) to see if a peak is displayed on the scope?

ie Turning off the sweep function of the signal generator and SLOWLY turning the tuning knob from say 10.5 to 10.9 MHz whilst observing the trace on the scope. This will show whether the SG, diode probe and scope are working correctly.

When I manually sweep the signal generator around 10.7MHz, the trace starts as a line, then takes a rectangular form then goes back to being a line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsimen View Post
The scope probe is going to be introducing a lot of capacitance which will upset the tuning of L13. That explains the very lop sided response. The diode probe must connect by the shortest possible leads to the test point - think mm, not metres here!

The X out signal is derived from the mains transformer and will be 50Hz. There aren't enough valves for it to be anything else!

Paula

I'll keep the lead length in mind and try and reduce them.

When I feed the MC/12 a marker signal I can't see anything resembling a marker on my 'scope, despite adjusting my E2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	232137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	232138  
Old 20th Apr 2021, 2:21 pm   #12
OldTechFan96
Octode

I followed step three in the R700's alignment instructions to check the discriminator . An S curve starts to appear as the sweep amp is turned up. Again, feeding in a marker did not do much.

At least we know that the wobbulator is working somewhat. I'm not too sure what this says about the diode probe.

I wonder if I could find a way to feed the Z out from the MC/12 into my 'scope? Assuming that this would eliminate the double curve. The instruction sheet suggests connecting the Z out is important.

Andrewausfa,

I'd be curious to know what you tried to get this wobbulator going. I can get an OK looking sine wave from mine when I adjust my 'scope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	232215  
Old 20th Apr 2021, 8:01 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi OTF, I think the key to the marker pips may well be the Z mod as from memory these pips appear quite bright on the screen

Ed
Old 20th Apr 2021, 8:55 pm   #14
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

OTF96, I think that last pic IS your "SD" curve, NOT a sine wave. you are nearly there I think!
Les.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 11:56 am   #15
Andrewausfa
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
Andrewausfa,

I'd be curious to know what you tried to get this wobbulator going. I can get an OK looking sine wave from mine when I adjust my 'scope.
I'll have to dig it out and have another go, it was a while ago. I do have a more modern sweep and marker RF generator and a big old Philips one that goes to 800MHz so the MC12 was a little novelty to play with. It would be useful to give it another look however. I'd agree with Les, that bottom picture is your S curve.

Andrew
Old 21st Apr 2021, 1:12 pm   #16
OldTechFan96
Octode

I should have been a bit clearer about my last comment. The sine wave I mentioned would be the one you get when you connect the RF out of the MC/12 to a 'scope and turn the Y amp all the way up.

Having nowhere to plug the Z out puts a stop to things at the moment. I'll have a look at some other radios and their alignment data.

It would be interesting see how far you get, Andrew.
Old 21st Apr 2021, 8:41 pm   #17
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

In my last posting I typed "SD" curve, but of course meant "S" curve, but too late to edit it.
Looking again, I will say it is NOT a sine wave. If you adjust your timebase/sync./trigger, I think you will see it is a single wave. Furthermore, if you look at the rising flank on the negative half, surely that kink is your marker.
I would revisit those settings, and not affect of firstly shifting your marker a little each way. If I am correct, it will move up or down the curve. It will distort the curve less if you can reduce its amplitude such that it is only just visible. Then carefully vary your timebase settings and see if you can improve the displayed curve.
An S curve, correctly aligned, has a good straight line section of the central rising flank.
Les.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 9:29 pm   #18
OldTechFan96
Octode

I've had a look at the service manual for my Hameg HM203-4 and it looks like a Z in can be easily added with a few components. I'm not sure what C3107 is for though.

Does anybody know what the Z out does on the MC12? It's fed from the negative side of the rectifier diode via a resistor and a capacitor. It stays at 13VAC no matter how the controls are manipulated.

The Art of Alignment does mention that some markers will only be visable with the Z out connected.

Hopefully, connecting the Z out sorts out the double trace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zmod.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	232873  
Old 29th Apr 2021, 10:38 am   #19
Andrewausfa
Octode

Z out should go to Z input on the scope which I'm not sure your Hameg 203 has (I have a 203-6 and can't remember!). Z out will provide the signal to the scope to modulate the intensity of the trace on the scope thereby giving a little pip brighter than the rest of the trace as per the piccie attached.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	465re.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	232888  
Closed Thread