UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2021, 4:16 pm   #1
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Step down transformer earthing

Here's a '220 to 110' portable chinese autotransformer arrived with me to repair. Someone's smashed the socket outlet.

What strikes me is that there's no earthing of the unit other than one end shroud to mains earth and the opposite end shroud to the outlet earth. No continuity between mains and output and nothing to chassis.

The only route for wires from the in-side to the out-side is through a gap in the bobbin.

The laminations have what looks like a mumetal welded sleeve around them, pinned in place by the end shrouds.

Suggestions please!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2190.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	232160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2191.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	232161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2192.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	232162  
Old 19th Apr 2021, 5:09 pm   #2

Default Re: Step down transformer earthing

Probably saving a bit of wire (the fools) to increase profits. If I was asked to fix this I would either do a proper job with earth continuity or scrap it. The former would be my preferred route, knowing that they bought a similar item instead that caused injury would bother me a lot.

Old 19th Apr 2021, 5:56 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

That seems to be the norm with these, you just prompted me to look into the unit I have and it is wired as you describe. There is continuity but its far from perfect I doubt these conform to any known standard and look to be made to the standard of typical US electrics where there seems to be a more casual approach to the provision of earthing on 110V volt equipment if it's provided at all.
Old 19th Apr 2021, 9:30 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I'm more concerned with the correct way to earth it, it's a 3kw transformer and is used for a heating application. (ie well-loaded). Connecting the end caps by pushing an earth wire through the middle of the bobbin would surely leave it open to eddy current damage, what do people think? Is it likely to be an issue? Also, how can I earth the outer sleeve?
The unit is used in an area outfitted with full stainless steel work benches, it's supplied via an RCBO circuit but it's no excuse for defective earthing.
Old 19th Apr 2021, 9:47 pm   #5
joebog1
Banned

I would be using a bit of copper shim gently pushed under the "mu-metal" shield. fold it under end bells until it's down past the endbell "ends" . Solder a normal green/yellow earth wire on both sides, one to input, and one to output. Wire ends go to the input and output sockets/connections. Going thru the bobbin is not a good idea, although there is room to do so. We have the same transformers available here.

Joe
Old 20th Apr 2021, 12:25 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Going through the bobbin will release smoke- it'll be a shorted turn!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Apr 2021, 8:32 am   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
a bit of copper shim
That's what I was thinking yesterday, I ordered some shim as the straps I have here are too thick. The owner of this thing is a prodigious importer of dodgy equipment, one item being a 40ft long bottle liquid-filling production line all in stainless steel and not an earth in sight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2193.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	232200  
Old 20th Apr 2021, 10:07 am   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Unless I've missed something I would put it in a box and do it properly.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread