UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2023, 10:48 am   #1
tikiwagon
Triode

Default Output from Marconiphone 4406 .

Hi i have a Marconiphone 4406 Unit with a Garrrad SP 25 Mk11 deck that i want to convert so i can use it to hook up to a Denon CD player, I know it has a rear DIN fitting can i just get a lead from the back of this (it has radio/tape connections on rear, see pictures) that will go to the Denon, I also need info about what stylus i might need to replace it with. Do i need a modern replacement? I don't have much knowledge on electronics so nothing too complicated please.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1390147.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	274775   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1390211.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	274776   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1390605.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	274777   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1390606.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	274778   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1390612.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	274779  

Old 12th Mar 2023, 11:30 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Output from Marconifone 4406 Player

A couple of things.
1. Stylus. That looks to be a Sonotone 3509 cartridge (rebadged Garrard) KS40A, that stylus is the one you need. Others may well fit, check the ceramic cartridge sticky I made. In the photo it's the box in the centre. The others likely have nothing to do with this player, post a picture of what is in them if need be.

2. You will need to take the signal from your record player from the TAPE socket to a pair of RCA phono plugs for the Denon's line in. If the sound is lacking in bass you should add a 1 megaohm resistor in series with each signal lead, you could do this with 1/4 watt resistors soldered neatly inside the phono plugs.

edit: just re- read the OP and I am not sure if you want to play CD's through the Marconiphone record player's amp, or the record player though the Denon system. Could you let us know?
Old 12th Mar 2023, 3:23 pm   #3
tikiwagon
Triode

Hi Ben
Thanks for the quick reply, The boxes came with Marconiphone but are empty. I want to play this through the Denon CD player if possible please. Also do you have a link where i can get the lead for doing this?
Old 12th Mar 2023, 6:11 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The OP admits he does not have much knowledge, so just to say that he can buy a ready made 5 pin DIN to 2 phono plug lead. He does not need to make one. Search "5 pin Din to stereo RCA phono lead". The amp in the Marconiphone is quite good (if a little noisey) but should sound good if playing back CDs through it.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 4:58 pm   #5
tikiwagon
Triode

Default Re: Output from Marconiphone 4406 .

Thanks for the reply , i want to play through the Denon CD player, so this lead should work on this?
Old 13th Mar 2023, 10:39 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiwagon View Post
I want to play this through the Denon CD player if possible please.
okay, then my point 2) above is valid. You need a lead like this (5 PIN DIN MALE TO 4X RCA MALE.) We can worry about the sound quality as and when you get one. Look on ebay for one. Note that no discussion of ebay sellers and auctions is allowed on here, but we can at least confirm if what you find is suitable.
Old 14th Mar 2023, 11:57 am   #7
tikiwagon
Triode

I have just ordered a 5 pin DIN to 2 phono lead from Ebay, Here is a pic of my current cartridge (Garrard KS40A) is this the best type to use and what stylus, I guess it will be suitable to run with the Denon
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1390655.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	274949  
Old 14th Mar 2023, 6:07 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

So Member's do not get confused, I am sure the OP means "play it through the Denon Receiver".
Old 15th Mar 2023, 4:54 pm   #9
tikiwagon
Triode

I have just got a 5 pin DIN to 2 phono lead from the Tape socket on the back of the Marconifone and put it into the Line 1 in on the Denon but cant seem to get this to work, however when put it from Line 1 output and back into the deck it works, am i doing something wrong as i was going to use the Denon as my amp and use the deck to play through it, Also sorry for all the questions but do i need a whole new cartridge or just the styli as i'm not sure how good this unit is, It was inherited from a family member but has not been used for years and sat around(i have just cleaned it all out and oiled/greased the mechanism which was partly seized), I know the stylus has had it though looking at the state of it
Thanks again
Old 15th Mar 2023, 10:47 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

Read my post #6 above, you have ordered the wrong cable.

Don't worry about changing the cartridge for now until we've sorted the cabling out. The stylus has two tips, try both, one is probably fine. It looks dirty in the photo, clean it carefully/gently with a q tip dipped in some isopropyl alcohol or similar.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:49 am   #11
tikiwagon
Triode

Hi Ben,Okay i need a 5 pin DIN to 4 phono not 2, I saw Edwards post and he said 2 so that is what i ordered, I have cleaned the stylus but all i am getting is a lot of hum from the deck, I know the amp works as when i put the CD player through it i get get sound so is it just stylus or cartridge possibly at fault? I have found "Garrard KS40A/Sonotone 3509 ST/LP x 2 Tipped Replacement Sapphire Stylus, Good Quality Replacement Sapphire Stylus for the Garrard KS40A Cartridge supplied with 2 x ST/LP Tips for playing 33's' and 45's" on ebay for £4.95 so this is what i need?
Perhaps i should have gone with a modern Deck!!!
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:59 am   #12
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiwagon View Post
all i am getting is a lot of hum from the deck, I know the amp works as when i put the CD player through it i get get sound
First, clean the contacts on the detachable headshell, they need to be shiny. Check also cabling between deck and amp module. In one of these I worked on, there was corrosion on the 3 prong connector plug here, I ended up soldering the wire directly.

It is possible the cart has failed but that does not explain the hum, so do not rush to changing it.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 12:20 pm   #13
cooperman
Pentode

Beware that there are a lot of 5 Pin DIN to Phono leads available that are not wired for this particular purpose. Often they are wired for use with the MIDI musical instrument interface instead. Unfortunately the vendors don't always mention this - I've ended up with some of the wrong type in the past.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 12:23 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Information for the OP.

The tape DIN (SK1 on one schematic) on your 4406 has 2 stereo outputs (pins 1 & 4) and 2 stereo inputs (pins 3 & 5). Pin 2 being a common ground/screen connection.

So if the 5 pin DIN to 2 phono cable is wired to DIN pins 3 and 5, it will not work if you are trying to play the 4406 output to your Amp/Receiver.

David
Old 16th Mar 2023, 1:55 pm   #15
tikiwagon
Triode

Thanks so what type do i need as i am getting a bit out of my depth with this
Old 16th Mar 2023, 2:08 pm   #16
ben
Dekatron

See post #6. there is a picture linked. I don't understand why you are so confused.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 3:05 pm   #17
DMcMahon
Dekatron

This is one online example (of many) -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191524904...3ABFBM0LPEq91h

This example is 2 metres long, some similar cables can be very short.

The 4 phonos as opposed to 2 will provide ability to output the 4406 tape output as well as inputting a signal into the tape DIN.

David
Old 16th Mar 2023, 4:13 pm   #18
tikiwagon
Triode

Okay i will order a 5 pin DIN to 4 phono as mentioned, I have now cleaned the stylus and connections and seems to be better and working but terrible sound( i will order a new stylus and set up the balance on it and go from there
Thanks again
Old 16th Mar 2023, 4:47 pm   #19
ben
Dekatron

Did you flip the little stylus lever 180º to expose the other tip (which will likely be okay)? Did you clean the tip as suggested in post 10? A buildup of crud will give poor sound
Old 16th Mar 2023, 5:47 pm   #20
tikiwagon
Triode

Yes i sure did but still awful sound, i think i will just order that one i found on ebay
Closed Thread