UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2023, 7:06 am   #1
andrewj
Diode

Default BSR Auto Return Issue

Hello all,

I have a problem with a BSR MA65 deck that I haven't seen before.

I've completed a top and bottom service and I'm seeing an issue with the tone arm return. The tone arm reaches the end of the record and returns (at the correct height). It moves back above the rest and motions to set down onto the rest however it then kicks back out to the drop position and then lowers onto the record. The mechanism then moves into the stop position. Something appears to be out of alignment or is catching perhaps.

This seems to happen more so on the 33 and 45 speed settings and not on the 78 setting, I'm thinking due to the mechanism moving more quickly. Its an intermittent issue but I can repeat it numerous times before it decides to work correctly.

Any suggestions here as to what might be causing the problem?

Cheers
Old 12th Feb 2023, 10:57 am   #2
andrewj
Diode

Default Re: BSR Auto Return Issue

Resolved this issue - problem was that some lubrication had found its way onto the star shaped mechanism on the underside of the tonearm that pivots when the auto changer moves. This was slipping on the slower speeds as the mechanism moved more slowly.

Cleaned up with solvent and dried - re-tested.

Posting what I did to resolve the issue in case it happens to anyone else.
Old 14th Feb 2023, 11:35 am   #3
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Re: BSR Auto Return Issue

thanks for posting the answer. funnily enough this is the second post this week on the forum which had the BSR black star thingy causing problems. Must be something in the air!

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Closed Thread