UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:23 pm   #1
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default AIWA A30 Amp

Are any Forum members familiar with the 1980 Aiwa Amplifier model SA 30K.
The one I am trying to repair and restore has a O/C vol pot on one gang .
It is a 100k, two gang pot but has 4 pin connections not 3 as normal.
I have disassembled the pot in the vain hope of repairing it, and the 4th pins on each gang measure as a fixed resistance of approx 4 ohms connecting to the middle slider pin.
I have tried finding a circuit diagram on the net, to clarify the reason for 4 connections, but have had no success.
Needless to say I can not obtain an identical part just the normal 100k two gang type with 3 connections on each section.
Has any members any idea what the 4th connection is for

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 9:39 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: AIWA A30 Amp

Ken, it's almost certainly for "loudness compensation", i.e. to make the sound "richer" at low volume levels by boosting the bass, to compensate for the human ear's lack of sensitivity to quiet, low-frequency sounds (I think!).

Most people would replace it with a normal 3-terminal pot and be done with it. That feature was frowned on by HiFi purists anyway.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 7:10 am   #3
its ur aerial
Hexode

Nick, many thanks for the reply, that all makes sense, because tracing back the print on the main PCB it would appear it goes back to the Loudness switch.
New pot on order, so we should soon have a result
I honestly don't remember seeing this arrangement before, but the memory is not what it was.
Many thanks again Nick.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 10:17 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This "Loudness" feature appears on many amplifiers of the period. Phiilps used them as well as a "Presence" control to boost the mid-range and was said to be useful on choral music and pop vocals. Then of course came the "Lo" and "Hi" filters and Graphic EQ - but let's not go there....thank goodness my trusty Pioneer A400 has no tone controls at all.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 10:42 am   #5
paulsherwin

You can usually rewire the loudness circuitry so the bass and treble boost is either on or off (that is, not dependent on the position of the volume control). This will sound exactly the same at low volumes, and if you're cranking things up you can just switch off the loudness compensation manually.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:07 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

I don't know whether it helps or not but the attached partial schematic shows a similar arrangement in a 1970s Grundig radio combined with a simple switched tone control at the front end of the audio stage.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig Vol Control.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	275658  
Closed Thread