UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2023, 6:37 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Agilent PSU E3647A Display replacement.

I finally got round to replacing the display in my PSU an Agilent 3647A. These are fitted with the green vacuum fluorescent displays which after a lot of use gently fade away.
I bought the unit a few years ago second-hand and the display was poor but just about useable but got a bit worse over time it is a well known feature after extended hours usage.

I originally looked to buy one from Keysight but trying to track it down seemed almost impossible so I gave up, by chance I happened to be browsing eBay and spotted someone doing the displays for the more common 34401A meter which suffer the same fate. Using similar searches in the same categories I found an advert for the more common 3648 PSU and on looking it seemed to have all the enumerators that needed. So took a chance and ordered one from the supplier in China, It arrived a little while ago and sat around waiting to be fitted. I’m pleased to say it fitted and appears to work perfectly judge for your self from the before and after pictures.

If you are looking to replace a VFD a display search for “VFD Display for HP Agilent Keysight Screen” and search the list to see if the one you want is listed on Google, AliExpress or eBay.

Fitting requires careful desoldering of the 36 fine pins and it will need a good desoldering technique to avoid damage, getting the display in requires carefully straightening of pins and resoldering with fine 0.5mm solder. There are several videos on YouTube to show you how to dismantle these units and get to the display. Look for the 3631A the most common one of the range.
I hope this proves of use if I can be any help drop me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Agilent 3647A (Before) (1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	275409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agilent 3647A (After).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	275410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Agilent 3647A (Display).jpg
Views:	36