UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2023, 4:26 pm   #1
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Default QED Tape switching unit type 23/2b

Hi guys. This might not be in the right sub. I apologize if so, but feel free to move it.

I found this unit today in the thrift store and I've been trying to figure out how it works. I thought it may be helpful to ask in the forum. I attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230317_162526.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	275189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230317_162536.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	275190  
Old 17th Mar 2023, 7:06 pm   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: QED Tape switching unit type 23/2b

It allow the connection of up to three tape recorders and one amplifier without the bother of plugging and unplugging you can record on one machine whilst listening to another record on more than one machine or even copy from one machine to another whilst listening to a third.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:24 pm   #3
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Hi Graham. Thanks for the response. A few things I don't understand about the layout of this device:

1. The switches are labeled Record 1-2 / 1-3 Source 1-2 / Amp-3 Monitor 1-2 / 1-3 while in the back the RCA ins/outs are 1,3,4,5. How do the switches correspond to the RCAs?

2. If I have two stereo tape decks I want to feed the signal of to the tape switch I do line out from decks to tape inputs 1 and 2 for example of the tape switch. I notice there are outs for every group. How do I use the switches to hear the outputs for both tape 1 and 2?

I am mostly confused by the labeling of the RCA compared to the switches. I can't make sense of it and how to configure them.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:38 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think that the numbers by the RCA phono sockets correspond to the pins you'd connect them to on a 5 pin DIN plug (!). That explains the lack of '2' in the socket numbering which would be earth/ground on the DIN plug.

I think the switch numbers correspond to the groups of sockets for tape recorders 1,2,3

I would be very suprised if there was much inside it. It should be easy enough to open it up and trace out the wiring which should reveal all.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 1:54 pm   #5
knobtwiddler
Octode

If you can't find a block diagram, simply plug in a couple of RCA leads and use a continuity bleeper to work out what feeds what. You want to hope that it has decent sealing on the switches / gold plated contacts, as at this age contacts could go intermittent (assuming you plan to use it) without a clean. Springs can lose tension as well.
Old 25th Mar 2023, 2:40 am   #6
quiberon
Triode

While this is not the same model the connections and operation are the same, you can download this guide from the QED website;

https://support.qed.co.uk/portal/en/...it-user-manual

This should allow you operate the switching unit successfully.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 2:51 pm   #7
sourbiscuits
Pentode

Thank you quiberon! I spent some time playing around with it but this will definitely help out. I already managed to feed audio through it but I have not yet completely figured it out.
Old 27th Mar 2023, 11:07 pm   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

Your amplifier must have a tape monitor switch (that would normally be used with a
3-head tape deck) to get the best use of this unit.