UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2023, 10:39 am   #1
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Whatever happened to Cone Tweeters?

In my early days of building and experimenting with loudspeakers, I would always use a cone tweeter, the Wharfedale Super 3, the Elac 4" unit, Goodmans and Fane 3" units and those plastic coned EMI 2.25" ones. Time passed and soon the standard Hi Fi tweeter became the Domed type. The Japanese and USA still continued with cone tweeters for a short time, whilst they seemed to become abandoned in Europe. Was it just a case of superior technology and physics? I still sometimes hanker for the sweet sound of a coned unit. View?
Old 13th Mar 2023, 10:45 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Whatever happened to Cone Tweeters?

Domes just have a better and more linear HF response.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 11:11 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

And lower distortion too.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 11:16 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

And better dispersion.

"What have the dome tweeters ever done for us?", to subvert Monty Python

David
Old 17th Mar 2023, 10:24 pm   #5
majex45
Hexode

I have a pair of Leak Mini-Sandwich speakers that have cone speakers with a very rigid cone. They have a sandwich construction (the clue is in the title).
They sound very forward and lively to my ears but surprisingly not fatiguing.
I have only listened to them on-axis and fairly near-field so cannot say about dispersion.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 10:54 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

3"-4" is kind of big by the time you get to the top couple of octaves (5-20kHz). Being circular, the directivity is rather unhelpfully tangled up in Bessel functions - 2J1(x)/x where x is k.a.sin(theta). k = 2.pi.f/c, c=340-ish m/s, a is piston radius (m), theta is angle off-axis.

These used to be slightly tricky to calculate, but I bet you can do it on a spreadsheet these days. I probably already shared the story where I was a bit startled to find (on debugging a Fortran77 program) that I had accidentally created a piston radius variable called 'rapist'...
Old 24th Mar 2023, 1:29 am   #7
RojDW48
Nonode

I'm still fond of the sound of those old cone tweeters - especially the little plastic EMIs, And the rather splendid Wharfedale one in the SFB3 sounded good.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 9:16 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Wharfedale had moved on from cone tweeters by the time I was running technology there. At the time there were two tweeters - identical other than the dome material. One had aluminium and the other titanium.

The selling point of titanium is that it was better than aluminium. Except it wasn't.

The first break up frequency is proportional to the root of Young's modulus to density, assuming the same dome mass.

Those two metals are only a percent difference in that number - 5 (ignoring troublesome powers of ten).

Beryllium is much better, and was used in the legendary Yamaha NS1000M back in the late 70's onward. The figure of merit (as above) is 12.5. Wharfedale's production line would not have been able to cope with such a potentially toxic material. We were visited by a rather shady Russian guy who said he could supply "passivated" beryllium domes. We did not take him up on that.

In the end, a fortuitous meeting with Idemitsu, who said they had a process for manufacturing thin sheets of 100% density alumina and would there be an application? We yes - could they make them in a dome form? Well yes they could. Figure of merit 10.2 - so getting close to beryllia - and totally non-toxic.

I looked at diamond too BTW. The figure of merit is 18.6. And since it has the highest thermal conductivity of any other material (6 times greater than copper), power handling would be very high. In the late 80's manufacturing technology was just not available however, so I shelved the idea. Fast forward, and now B&W manufacture speakers with diamond dome tweeters. See for example https://youtu.be/1OUcSI2iS0Q

Craig
Old 24th Mar 2023, 9:29 am   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Great post Craig, thanks.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 9:55 pm   #10
Glowing Bits!
Octode

These type tweeters are usually found in older vehicles, I found four in my T reg van, the treble was horrendous!
If I find old speakers fitted with whizzer type cones, I tend to leave it alone purely for historical purposes.