UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2020, 6:55 pm   #1
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Philips 13RL360

Got a Philips 13RL360 (£7.22 delivered) from a one time forum member:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=95122

I'm guessing it was in storage for the last 7 years, same quietness. This is a radio of substance! I look forward to further exploration, I've already started on the woodwork, gluing. Some suspect-leaky-looking electrolytics and 3 usual suspect AF117s, see photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2041.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	216937  
Old 4th Oct 2020, 5:07 pm   #2
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Re: Philips 13RL360

Early success - measured the electrolytics in circuit and they are all low, some practically open including the 32uF (measures about 1uF) one in the AGC feedback path, I soldered a 33uF across it and got BBC Scotland. The waveband switch and volume pot need a clean, some of the other electrolytics need replacing, it needs a general clean and polish and I've a bit more wood glue and clamping to do, otherwise, result!

I'm still quite new to repairing old radios. Any reason I shouldn't just solder a fresh cap across the old dried up one and leave the old one effectively in parallel and making a small but diminishing contribution to the capacitance? I'm thinking it's a way of keeping the history honest, not just being lazy...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP2044.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	217007  
Old 4th Oct 2020, 7:41 pm   #3
G1RAO keith
Pentode

Hi.

Although it's a quick check for low or o/c caps it is better to replace the faulty component ,because the faulty one could also be leaky ie it is acting like a cap with a resistor across it and for something in the agc line it is just reducing the effectiveness, and any faulty cap between stages will upset the bias. If you ever work on a vintage valve radio leaving leaky caps in cct is a really bad idea. Hope this helps.

Regards, Keith.
Old 8th Oct 2020, 4:10 pm   #4
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Thanks Keith. I've left them in for now though.

I added a couple more electrolytics as required, gave it a good clean, took the sheet metal off the plastic front and glued it back on properly etc. This is my new favourite radio, it has very clear reception of BBC Scotland and 5Live on MW which is unusual here in my experience and it functions a little differently from my other radios - when tuning in and out there is a whooshing sound ( https://youtu.be/U45rK67k5vg ) - I don't know if all this is down to me leaving faulty caps in or other component quality or some aspect of the circuit design which I wouldn't notice if it slapped my head with a fish. Maybe it's not so unusual. Could be to do with the "station focus" fine tuning via a pot and diode as mentioned in Radio and Television Servicing:

"Capacitance Diode Tuning

A number of receivers incorporate bandspread tuning. Control is effected
by means of a potentiometer connected to a reverse-biased diode in the local
oscillator circuit. The small capacitance swing introduced by the diode
limits the range of the oscillator fine tuning and only becomes effective at the
high frequency end of the Medium Waveband. Such a circuit is featured
in Philips models and is termed " Fine Focus " tuning. In this the diode
rectifies the oscillator voltage appearing across the tuned circuit and the
inverse voltage at the anode is set by the potentiometer tuning control (See
Philips model 13RL360 in this volume). "
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP2076.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	217311   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2077.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	217312   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP2091.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	217313   Click image for larger version

Name:	focus.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	217314  
Old 20th Oct 2020, 2:53 pm   #5
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Inordinately pleased to say this radio is back with shmccall now. I like a happy ending.
Closed Thread