UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2020, 5:03 pm   #1
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Default Ambassador - late 1930's

I bought this radio January 29 of 2013, so it is well past time to finish the restoration. I had it playing yesterday. I replaced the output transformer before finding that the speaker connection was bad due to dirt and corrosion on the wires and plug-in terminals. Just as well, as the old output transformer has green corrosion which indicated it was on the way to failing. I was enjoying nice music on AM690, the Mandarin language station broadcasting from Mexico (77,000 watts daytime, 50,000 nighttime with a direction antenna array). The radio also played what was almost surely the first Navajo music it had ever received, listening to AM660 from Window Rock Arizona.

I still need to adjust (align) it for peak performance, replace the dial string, clean and lubricate the tuning mechanism, and replace the power switch (was open, drenched with contact cleaner/lubricant). I have no idea what the correct IF frequency is. Any suggestions?

I would appreciate any help determining the model and other information. I have searched and not found any advertisements for it, but I have not yet found a way to search British newspapers.

It has five valves: R2 - rectifier; PENA4 - power; 2D4A duo-diode; VP4B - variable mu pentode RF/IF; and an unknown with 9-pin base and top cap, probably AC/TP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	British the Ambassador Radio Works unknown model as found.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	213737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador chassis playing.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	213738   Click image for larger version

Name:	British the Ambassador Radio Works unknown model label as found.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	213739  
Old 17th Aug 2020, 5:06 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Ambassador - late 1903's

Hi Stephen

Guessing that's a typo late 1930's as opposed to late 1903's

Looked at all of the Pre war Ambassador sets in Radio museum non quite meet the description but of course valve substitutions may have been made in which the PB2 Console is a possible candidate.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 17th Aug 2020 at 5:18 pm. Reason: added poss candidate
Old 17th Aug 2020, 5:23 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Ambassador - late 1930's

Thread title updated.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 6:51 pm   #4
FStephenMasek
Pentode

More coffee needed (morning here when I posted)...
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 9:38 pm   #5
FStephenMasek
Pentode

The chassis is finished! Using another radio to "hear" the oscillator, I determined it must be about at 110kHz, so I aligned it using that frequency. At first, I could not hear the audio from my signal generator, then I realized that it probably has a wave trap adjusted to the Intermediate Frequency, so I connected the signal generator to the grid (top-cap) of the AC/TP. I managed to replace the dial string yesterday, using nylon chalk-line string. I cleaned the yellowed plastic dial cover with automotive headlight plastic restoration fluid, lubricated the tuning gang, and cleaned the top of the chassis and aluminum cans. I was able to save the original power switch which tested open by soaking it with contact cleaner / lubricant. I took a photo of the unknown converter tube and manipulated the colors, contrast and saturation, to determine that it is indeed an AC/TP. The power cord is one the nice fabric-covered three wire cords sold by Grand Brass, but with a standard European plug (I have a 120VAC to 240VAC transformer with a European outlet).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ambassador chassis playing (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	214154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador chassis front finished.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	214155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador chassis back finished.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	214156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador dial lighted.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	214157  

Last edited by FStephenMasek; 23rd Aug 2020 at 9:47 pm.
Old 24th Aug 2020, 1:58 am   #6
FStephenMasek
Pentode

I re-did the finish on the top of the cabinet today, as I was not satisfied with my earlier work. It is back together and in my radio room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ambassador finished in radio room (1).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	214161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambassador finished and playing.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	214162  
Old 24th Aug 2020, 8:48 am   #7
Petedox
Pentode

Great job, and what a fantastic collection!
Old 24th Aug 2020, 10:15 pm   #8
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Thank you! That is just a few of my approximately 100 radios.
Old 24th Aug 2020, 11:05 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

Those big US sets make the ambassador look rather small! To most british collectors' eyes, most american sets of the 30's seem highly decorated or luxurious, in comparison to the plain-jane of many angular, understated art deco uk cabinets. I'd be interested to hear the american view on our 30's designs!
Old 25th Aug 2020, 1:49 am   #10
FStephenMasek
Pentode

I've noticed that the UK radios often have very showy veneer. This Ambassador has a nice front panel. I'm also still working an an HMV tombstone with a stricking front panel.

Homes in the USA were, and often still are, larger than those in much of Europe, so there would have been a small market in Europe for most of the large console radios sold in the USA.

What do you think of that art-deco Stromberg Carlson on the left side of my radio room?
Old 25th Aug 2020, 12:05 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

There was a trend for freestanding consoles then. My Grandmother had a huge (by our standards) Pennine console, but the chassis was the same as the table radio. It was a quality piece of furniture though.
Old 25th Aug 2020, 7:28 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

I like the look of all those big american sets. You can see the work that's gone into them and the pride they must've caused as a living room centre piece
Old 26th Aug 2020, 12:15 am   #13
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Indeed! One of the enjoyable aspects of our hobby is wondering who owned them, and thinking of all that they heard on them. This radio was still fairly new when WWII happened, so it may have been a very important source of information for the people who owned it. My best guess is that it was made in 1937.
Old 27th Aug 2020, 6:29 pm   #14
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Those big US sets make the ambassador look rather small! To most british collectors' eyes, most american sets of the 30's seem highly decorated or luxurious, in comparison to the plain-jane of many angular, understated art deco uk cabinets. I'd be interested to hear the american view on our 30's designs!
I posted a picture of my much loved Murphy A30 console on a mainly american vintage radio site and quite a few had problems appreciating the minimalist styling of it!
Old 28th Aug 2020, 11:15 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

well they do say that the 30's Murphy sets appealed to the bohemian set, which is the opposite of how I envisage a well-to-do conservative all-american interwar family. Most american sets I've seen from that period make the most ostentatious HMV radiogram look spartan