UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2006, 9:07 pm   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Headphone choice for crystal radios

Yes, folks, I've found yet another gap in my hitherto assumed-to-be encyclopaedic knowledge
Can anyone tell me the best impedance choice for headphones used with a basic crystal radio, such as the ubiquitous Ivalek?
Don't all shout at once, please
-Tony
p.s. My guess is a high-ish 2k or so...
Old 9th Jan 2006, 9:20 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Headphone choice for crystal radios

Hi Tony, Yes high impedance phones work best, The most common type around seems to be the S.G. Brown type "F", which were 2000 ohms per side. Try :-

http://www.webex.net/~skywaves/xtalset102/headsets.htm

Or:-

http://www.schmarder.com/radios/crystal/

Regards, Mick..
Old 9th Jan 2006, 9:34 pm   #3
Station X

This has been discussed recently in the forums. Take a look at this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5918

Graham.
Old 10th Jan 2006, 7:55 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

Thanks for the replies, guys. Useful to know these things! (Even if I forget them almost immediately...)
-Tony
Old 10th Jan 2006, 10:45 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, therfe is a circuit on the crystal set site for an amplifier that will allow your to use low Z phones with a crystal set, it's based on a 3 legged beast (unfortunately) , the TL431. It will run at low power and is very small. I actually built a 2, 3 legged thing radio based on this and the Ferranti ZN414 radio chip.
With apologies to all forum members for the profanities !!

Ed
Old 11th Jan 2006, 10:56 am   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

Once again, thanks to all for the useful contributions - all adding to the vast crumbling edifice of knowledge that is Thompson
Particular thanks to you, Mick, for the links to the site showing test comparisons. I never knew there was so much interest in crystal radios!
Cheers.
-Tony
Old 11th Jan 2006, 4:03 pm   #7
Les.
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,
Diverging slightly from the 2000 Ohms headphone issue, in early vintage we made our own chrystals (if galena wasn't available).
A a pea-sized piece of lead was melted in an old teaspoon with a pinch of sulphur stirred in. This was done outside to avoid inhaling the very pungent fumes. It didn't matter if the sulphur caught fire.
This resultant rough blob was fitted into the holder and a "cat's whisker" ( a piece of fine steel wire wound into a small spring, the end of which was used to locate a sensitive rectifying area on the chrystal surface.) The coating of "Blue Gillette" razor blades also would rectify.
Regards,
Les.
Old 11th Jan 2006, 6:02 pm   #8
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Crystal Set Headphones

There was a recent inquiry as to the best headphones for crystal sets. The advice given was in the main useful but for the ultimate in sensitve headphones (and for super selective crystal sets). go to www.crystalradio.net/ and look at the Sound Powered Section.
John.
Closed Thread