UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2003, 5:21 pm   #1
Lars

Default Systoflex replacement

Currently I'm working on an old Ericsson (Radiola) from 1933. This set was in a terrible shape, and a lot of the components and wiring needs replacing. A lot of the wiring was made using bare tinned copper wire, inserted in systoflex tubings. Systoflex cant be found nowdays and I refuse using any modern material, at least anything looking modern...

After some thinking, I made my own improved systoflex this way; A black shoelace was stolen from my sunday shoes, it was round in shape. From the outer tubular sleeve I pulled out the yarn, and inside the tube I put a teflone tubing.

A quick dip in shellac, and smoothing with my fingers, I had a perfect look-alike. The teflone tubing inside gives me modern insulation, but it cant be seen from the outside.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:02 am. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin

Old 16th Sep 2003, 8:44 pm   #2
Lars

Default Re: Systoflex replacement

Some further experiments today showed that the previous described shoelace "skin" also makes excellent look-alikes for textile insulated wires and cords. Just put the sleeve outside a modern cord, suitable for 110/220 V, stretch it and secure the ends.

For the "tarish look", apply shellac, wipe off most of it, and allow to dry.

I'm currently making several yards of both types for the ongoing restauration. I bought 6 pairs of shoelace today, the longest avaliable were 5 feet. The clerk looked quite surprised...

Anyone tried these out? I'd love some comments

All the best
Lars

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:01 am. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin

Old 16th Sep 2003, 9:53 pm   #3
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: systoflex replacement

Hi Lars

Agree they make nice cloth covers for cables on old battery operated radios. Only problem finding the right type shoe laces. Most around here aren't the tubular type.

Haven't tried shellac but sound like a good idea.

Norm
Old 16th Sep 2003, 9:59 pm   #4
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

Good work Lars. I'll have to give that idea a try.

Steve J
Old 24th Sep 2003, 8:10 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I may be "stealing somone's thunder" in repeating a tip, as I can't remember where I first saw it - probably on here as it's where all the good tips are! It works a treat, so I thought it was worth another airing.

DIY stores such as B&Q in the UK, sell nylon cord of various diameters for such purposes as light switch cord for ceiling operated switches. the nylon core can easily be removed, and the outer sheath used as a replacement for braided sleeving.

It can be coloured using matt modelling paint in the desired colours, for which Humbrol make a wide range.

David Taylor

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:03 am. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 17th Oct 2003, 4:35 pm   #6
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

CPC sell braided sleeving in all sizes and colours only problm is it is £30 min order for free postage under £30 there is a sliding scale of carriage charges.

Farnell also do the stuff but in not so large a range but with free carriage over £10 might be a better bet.

Mike
Old 9th Jun 2005, 8:10 am   #7
PWH
Heptode

I have some NOS systoflex, at least I am pretty sure thats what it is.

Still sticky! See it on my website.

http://www.vintage-radio-resources.com/

Regards

Peter
Old 11th Jun 2005, 9:26 am   #8
PWH
Heptode

Thinking about it, I would like some other opinions as to whether this is indeed 'Systoflex'.

So for the first 5 visitors to my website to request it, I'll send a free sample. Then I would ask you advise your opinion as to whether it is or is not 'Systoflex'
Old 11th Jun 2005, 12:30 pm   #9
pmmunro
Octode

I'll confess to a gap in my education; I don't know what Systoflex is - but I am looking for a source of varnished cotton sleeving. Are they the same thing?

Varnished cotton sleeving was used by transformer and motor winders until quite recently (my working lifetime - still ongoing) but seems to have disappeared in the last few years. Does anyone have connections in this industry?

Apparently the best quailty varnished cotton was Egyptian and one variety was known as "Empire Cloth/Tape". I've tried a web search to see if I could find a supplier, perhaps from India or Egypt, since that's where cotton is produced, but without success.

The BVWS does not have the resources or finance to buy for resale on behalf of its members (See thread on reproduction valves) but for a low value item like this the problem would probably be volume rather than cost. If someone could find a source, perhaps it would be practical to buy, say £50 worth for redistribution. Someone who already has a web shop might be willing to distribute for us if a commitment to a proportion of the order was given by several people?
Old 11th Jun 2005, 1:26 pm   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I would be happy to ask at a local surpus warehouse for you - He has a lot of this sort of stuff, and could be easy to supply in small quantities.

Cheers
Old 11th Jun 2005, 3:38 pm   #11
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote, from Lars:

Quote:
I bought 6 pairs of shoelace today, the longest avaliable were 5 feet.
Five feet? Most folk only have two
Sorry, can't help myself. I'll go and lie down in a darkened room once I've typed this.
Systoflex is varnished cotton sleeving. Well, OK, usually the 'varnish' is actually shellac (thickish, brownish French polish) - as far as I understand it. The stuff was popular as insulation during the late 20s and the thirties, used by both set makers and amateur builders. The name - probably, at the beginning, a trade name - seems over those years to have become universally applied to other forms of sleeving, not necessarily varnished.
-Tony
Old 12th Jun 2005, 1:00 pm   #12
pmmunro
Octode

Thanks Sean, that would be a great help. The sizes I need most are 1 and 2mm bore diameter in 'natural' finish or black, but other sizes would be useful too.
Old 13th Jun 2005, 1:48 am   #13
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Chaps
On a visit to Focus DIY today , I noticed they sold nylon rope comprising of a fibre core retained by a White Nylon braiding. This slid back and expanded quite well.May be able to be painted or dyed?
Also available was cotton rope, with a similar loose braid covering(in Blue!).
I think red is sometimes available. Both were only pence /metre.
Hope this helps.
Tim

PS I have a job on requiring replacement of this cotton braided cable so I would wecome any ideas.
Old 15th Jun 2005, 9:08 pm   #14
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi All,

After consulting the local surplus dealer he does indeed have systoflex in stock a large quantity of 1/16" dia in 3 ft lengths - 20 shillings for two lengths should be fine...

He also has some other insulating materials that may be useful, as soon as I have a list I will let you all know.

Cheers