UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2021, 11:51 am   #1
Ferguson 2000
Tetrode

Default Anyone remember these?

Found while looking for an ECH81! I can remember changing these while sitting on the floor in a corner (why were TV sets almost always in the corner of the room?) and wishing that the leads to the tuner were at least 6" longer.

That tiny Philips slug was even harder to change!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	238463  

Geoffrey.
Old 30th Jul 2021, 12:04 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone remember these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson 2000 View Post
Found while looking for an ECH81! I can remember changing these while sitting on the floor in a corner (why were TV sets almost always in the corner of the room?) and wishing that the leads to the tuner were at least 6" longer.

That tiny Philips slug was even harder to change!
Yes, I do remember those Bush valve VHF tuner cores and the fine tuner slug in Philips VHF valve tuners. In fact, I still have some of both!
Old 30th Jul 2021, 12:57 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Remember them both, I don’t remember the Bush being difficult, I thought the tuner used plug and sockets so was easy to remove from the cabinet.
The Philips a little harder but a hot screwdriver pushed into the remaining broken core to make a slot, then after a couple of minutes when hardened it unscrewed.

Or is my memory painting it all with a golden glow?
Old 31st Jul 2021, 3:14 pm   #4
Ferguson 2000
Tetrode

Hi to dazzlevision and Nuvistor,

I have a Philips slug somewhere as well, nowadays we would probably be using super glue on them!

A golden glow? Well they were straight forward, easy jobs if a little fiddly. How about the GEC / Sobell 2020 series tuner which had to be dismantled to clean the Band 1 / 3 switch, all those tiny screws which I used to put on the white top of my screwdriver box.

Another item that popped up was a brand new R26 in RS Components box, checking in my RS catalogue from 1974 I see that was for the BRC 8000 and 8000A.

So many parts that I must get rid of, video recorder boxes full of LOPTXs and VCR heads, BRC 2000,Baird 3000 sale version etc.

Geoffrey.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 3:32 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Never saw the GEC tuner but designers could make repairs more painful.
I have no spares for TV’s a few valves for the couple of old radios I still have and occasionally switch on, probably be worth passing the radios and valves on.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 9:27 pm   #6
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I must be getting old, I too remember both & recognized the Bush one immediately!

Happy days.. I woke up this morning partially in a hazy state, & thought how nice it would be if I could go back for a few days to the early 1960's to my old Rediffusion workshop...

David.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:57 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The tuner that uses that tuning wand is a very good one. I have a feeling it was made by Plessey for Bush. Very high gain with excellent reset. I still have a wand in one of my spares bins.
A regular fix was to find the end bit that had snapped off. Slide it back into the tube followed by a spring from a Biro. A short length of co-ax screening was then soldered across the end. It was a very satisfactory 'fix' but I must admit I never actually did it!. I kept good stocks of tuning wands.
In a recent thread I mentioned the fiddly job of cleaning the GEC five position tuner. It was actually a very good unit and with the aid of a smear of MS4 grease applied after cleaning all contact surfaces it was reliable for a considerable period.
The tuning wand in the miniature Philips tuner could be a devil. The main problem was getting the tuner out of the chassis! I used to flatten the end of a 2 watt resistor, heat it up with a flame till red then push it into the bit left in the operating lever. When cool and hardened it was a simple matter to just wind it out.
You can't really blame Philips for this one as it was friction free in the ceramic tube. The material must have disintegrated similar to the push button sliders in the Thorn four button UHF tuners. John.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:05 am   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Ah just switched on ,wonderful! the memories came flooding back thanks for waking up the memory cells , happy days . Mick.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:49 am   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

Although incorporated in very few models, Thorn made an excellent 4 button p/b vhf
tuner as used in 900 chassis. Our Ultra 6626 had one with no problems, the mech was
rather like the later uhf tuners.
The four wands had ally cores and I thought they were moulded in glass but it might
have been clear plastic. Not seen one for years.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 9:50 am   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

I remember people commenting on the GEC tuner in fact there was a Practical Television article on how to do it. I think it may have been by our old mate LLJ. Someone mentioned that the screws had to be carefully kept in order as they were all different lengths and had to go back where they came from...
As far as wands are concerned - one would have certainly been useful to fix some of the sets we encountered!
Rich
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:36 am   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
The four wands had ally cores and I thought they were moulded in glass but it might
have been clear plastic. Not seen one for years.
I thought the cores were brass and worked in the opposite sense to ferrite (increasing the frequency)
I must say I'd almost forgot about these peculiar tuning slugs until I saw the picture.
Closed Thread