UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2021, 11:54 am   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Just a query

Why were most b\w sets in the 60's AC only? Was it because the heaters were normaly fed with a negative voltage, I remember some sets of this age had voltage selectors on but when was the national grid optimised at 240v, if there is a really simple answer I apologise but I have dementia and try as I might nothing springs to mind, thanks anyone.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:02 pm   #2

Default Re: Just a query

I guess two reasons, one the smaller ones may have had transformers and you get a higher HT with AC, the peak of the waveform.

Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:28 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

You'll find a lot of mains switches had only AC ratings (at 240v) and weren't considered safe to break DC.

David
Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:56 pm   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

Thanks both of you, like the AC handling idea though.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 1:17 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I believe you have the answer with the heaters being fed from half mains through a rectifier. I have checked Ekco and Bush sets from the change over to negative heaters. The sets before the change Ekco T433 are AC/DC T441 AC only, similar the Bush TV125 AC/DC, TV135 AC only. Both AC only models have rectified heater supplies. The Bush models used the same On/Off switch ganged with the volume control.

Other sets may well have had transformers Full or Auto, which would have made them AC only. I think the AC only switches came a little later with CTV sets.

As an aside, those Volume control/Switches used in the Bush sets were I think made by Morganite, RS sold the identical control, the carbon track was a moulded piece of carbon not just a coating of carbon and the slider contact was also carbon. I had the occasional switch failure but never a noisy volume control.

Last edited by Nuvistor; 12th Jul 2021 at 1:29 pm.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 1:26 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

I remember the -ve heater sets, also the Thorn/BRC capacitor dropper sets and their "Cool Chassis" sets (Autotransformer)

Lawrence.
Closed Thread