UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2021, 7:12 pm   #21
em536716
Hexode

Default Re: Recap Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
These early PYE printed circuit receivers have very thick print. It is very easy to remove the components intact, clean the component holes in the board with desoldering wick and resolder the new components neatly in place.
As David has mentioned, in some cases this can be difficult due to access and cutting a few lead out wires may be the only answer. The other problem you may come up against is the risk of creating poor connections on the board due to original short lengths of wire becoming dry jointed. J.

I would not recommend removing components from the double sided plated panels employed by GEC/Sobell unless you are very experienced in dealing with these types of board. If in doubt, cut the component leads.

I would also second this. With modern capacitors getting smaller, the leads unfortunately don’t always reach. This ends up being a nightmare as you have to extend them or solder onto the old component leads. This can look un-neat.

I think it’s important to mention that some early circuit boards also have a lot of oxidisation on them which makes it very hard to solder to. With the amount of heat and flux needed to make a good joint, you could potentially damage the track or the board.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 7:55 pm   #22
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Many thanks everyone for the detailed advice. A lot depends on what I find when I start restoring the innards of this (externally pristine) set. It is clear from peering into the chassis that it is quite gunky in there, and because -- for space reasons -- this is likely to be my only vintage set for quite a while, I need to proceed carefully.

I don't know when I will get going but will be sure to start a thread when that happens!
Old 4th Jul 2021, 9:23 am   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Versions were manufactured with twin speakers.
The general chassis goo is mostly wax capacitors that have softened in a warm atmosphere. Quite normal but as you say, messy! Don't attempt any over cleaning until you have it basically working. J.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 6:57 pm   #24
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Don't attempt any over cleaning until you have it basically working. J.
Thank you for that advice, which was needed. I have a distinct tendency to clean stuff first, then restore the electronics, but I can see how that could be counterproductive if the set has not been brought to working order first.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 8:17 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Picture of the timebase printed circuit panel in the Pye CW17 I have upstairs above the shop. A few components were replaced in order to get the set working, it wasn't a full restoration. Note C88, one of the leads of the old part was cut in the manner recommended by the Pye service department.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_CW17_PCB.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	237093  
Old 5th Jul 2021, 8:40 am   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I reckon your example David was used from test card to Queen! It really is a well worn chassis. J.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 2:01 pm   #27
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Odd to think of all the nice clean sets we dumped back in the day, and some of the ones we're restoring now look like theyve spent their lives down a coal mine!
Closed Thread