UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2021, 9:53 pm   #1
pudwink
Pentode

Default Sanyo vtc 5000 keeps stopping

Hi all
I have just got hold of a Sanyo vtc 5000 that would not do a lot after stripping it down and a lot of messing around I have got it working but it will only play for a few seconds then the reel motor stops and the play light goes out.
Pressing stop and play again it will play then stops the same again.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 6:21 am   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: Sanyo vtc 5000 keeps stopping

Usually easily sortable, as it's lacing hit pause, does the counter register in FF\RW. These machines were quite tame to sort.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 8:57 am   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As Tony says, shouldn't be too difficult. If it stays laced in pause with a still frame (the most likely) then you're looking at a lack of pulses from the reel rotation sensor; easy to tell as the tape counter won't advance. Do FF and rewind work? That should help to narrow things down.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 9:23 am   #4
pudwink
Pentode

Hi
Thank you for your reply I have just tried pressing pause as it's lacing up I don't know what I am looking for but nothing different happened the counter is working but I have noticed this morning for some reason the front power light was not coming on but the timer one would light and non of the play forward reverse lights would light but then after a while they would light as they should again so sounds like an electric fault somewhere.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 9:31 am   #5
pudwink
Pentode

Just tried again pause will only work when fully laced ff and rewind work it can play between about 1 min to about 10 secs before the reel motor stops
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 9:38 am   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

I'm sure Glyn and I will sort it, not your your normal 5000 symptoms, I seem to remember if one of the PSU voltages is a bit unstable you may get this, bang a meter on the 5 and 12v lines and see if they dip when the fault occurs
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 10:25 am   #7
ortek_service
Octode

Dead-spots on the Reel (Take-up) motor was common on these.
However reel-motor / idler problems on these often result in the tape not being re-wound back into the cassette when it unlaces.

Pause only operates on play, so won't affect FF/Rew (which is done un-laced on these). The only thing that should stop FF/Rew is when the inductive end-sensors encounter the metal-foil ends of the tape. Did it also stop before this on FF/Rew?

If tape counter is counting, then the take-up reel sensors should be working OK. But might be an issue with the supply-side.
Pressing pause as soon as it's started playing, should help identify if it's a spool rotation issue.
On VHS machines, it was common for a stretched loading belt to cause the lace-up to not quite-complete and shutdown a few seconds after pressing play. However, I don't know if this could also happen on these (I think they only had 2 belts and didn't usually cause problems, the last time I worked on a few I had / still got, back in the 80's)
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 11:40 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Have you changed the motor? As said above, these were notorious and shutting down after a minute or two is a symptom. Press play and see if the right-hand spool stops before it shuts down - if so it's motor/idler problems. If it doesn't, do the same again but watch the counter and see if that stops before shutdown. If that's the case it's low reel pulses.
I think you've also got capacitor trouble in the power supply, hence the slow waking up. As Tony says, have a look at the lines when it's cold - or better still replace the downstream electrolytics.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 12:42 pm   #9
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi there. Reading that symptom rang me a bell and reminded me when I was reading VCR repairs in the Television magazine. This right here might explain your problem.

Regards

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-02 at 2.40.54 PM.png
Views:	70
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	235236  
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 5:07 pm   #10
pudwink
Pentode

Hi
Just tried cleaning the sensor and for about 10 mins thought it had sorted it but no it must be when it gets warm something is stopping it where are the best points to take meter readings from to check voltages.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 5:08 pm   #11
pudwink
Pentode

Forgot to say I changed the reel motor off a working but decided to stop tracking 5000 so I know the motor is fine.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 11:52 am   #12
pudwink
Pentode

Hi All
Progress rather than messing around trying to find voltages off the power supply I just swapped it out of the other machine and it seems to be working had it playing for 30 mins without stopping.
But for some reason the power timer play and rewind lights have stopped working the channel selector lights and display work fine so dont know whats happing there.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 12:51 pm   #13
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd change the PSU capacitors as they will be elderly by now and the slow starting's something of a giveaway. Your LED problems are most likely a wire off or a small crack in the board which can easily happen when the machine's been dismantled.
Closed Thread