UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2021, 5:17 pm   #1
Joshrk94
Diode

Default Granada teletext model - can't find colour settings

Hello I've acquired this old tv set, no remote with it but I noticed it only has contrast setting on front panel , does anyone know how I can access colour options or other picture menu thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210522_171242538.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	234608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210522_171302990.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	234609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210522_171307816.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	234610  
Old 22nd May 2021, 8:27 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Granada teletext model - can't find colour settings

Don't know what chassis is fitted to that set but most likely you will need to obtain a compatible remote control to access the menu and all the colour options. The model; number is probably on the back of the set. Someone else on here will probably be able to advise what remote control you need. You might be able to use a 'universal' remote control but you still need to know the model number of the TV.
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:08 am   #3
Joshrk94
Diode

Hi the problem is there is only serial number at back but nothing is saying model number
Old 23rd May 2021, 1:49 am   #4
nickdoofah
Banned

I think this is a Doric Mk 5 set from around 1984/85 if that helps....
Old 23rd May 2021, 5:14 am   #5
its ur aerial
Hexode

Looks familiar, at first I thought Rediffusion Mk4 or Sanyo
On the back cover it should have a blue or white sticker with its details, age, model and make, the first letter is the age, this code is the same as car reg numbers ie. A 1981 made TV, will be a W, next the Make, Z = Finlandia P = Phillips G= Grundig or GEC, cant remember and so on, a Rediffusion, may be a D = Doric, long time ago cant remember.
As has been previously mentioned, you may well need the RCU to adjust the Col etc, as well as this, Granada did a lot of Hotel sets, and these had a Hotel Menu, similar to a Child Lock, to stop people fiddling, or even nicking them !,So even with the RCU, you may need to reset the Lock.
I have emailed the set pic to one of my ex Granada colleges, who was there till the end, we should get the full details in the next few hours.
A pic of the inside would be very helpful
Watch this space.

Ken G6HZG

Last edited by its ur aerial; 23rd May 2021 at 5:18 am. Reason: Forgot to ask for pic.
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:12 am   #6
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Mystery Granada TV ?

My guess would be it was a Rediffusion MK4, Granada Model number C22BY4 originally a Rediffusion or Doric 5640-58.
Hope this helps you.
Ken G6HZG.
Old 24th May 2021, 9:25 am   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's a Rediffusion/Doric Mk4A - the suffix is important. This uses a CITAC based tuning/remote system. It's similar to (but not the same as) the Philips system of the same time.
I can't remember if a Philips remote works - worth a try. If not then your best bet might be a 'One For All'.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:28 am   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

First Mark 4 sets appeared in 1982. The sets I sold and rented were initially branded as Doric and later on as Murphy.
It's long time ago but I do seem to remember the remote control codes were compatible with ITT handsets.

DFWB.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:30 am   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

It’s definitely a Rediffusion Mark 4A chassis inside. If it has Teletext capability, there ought to be a big label stuck onto the back cover saying “TELETEXT” (white letters on a black background).
Granada bought the Rediffusion chain of TV and video recorder sales and rental shops around 1983, but Rediffusion continued to supply Granada with rebadged TVs for a while - until their factory was closed.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:32 am   #10
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
First Mark 4 sets appeared in 1982. The sets I sold and rented were initially branded as Doric and later on as Murphy.
It's long time ago but I do seem to remember the remote control codes were compatible with ITT handsets.

DFWB.
It was the Mark 4 chassis that used the ITT chip set. So a Philips remote probably wouldn’t work with the Mk4 but might with the Mk4A.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:41 am   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I might still have the service manuals for the Mk 4 and Mk 4A in the filing cabinet.

DFWB.
Old 24th May 2021, 12:24 pm   #12
Leon Crampin
Octode

It's definitely a Rediffusion Mk4A with the Philips CITAC chipset. I have all the data, but I'm away from base at the moment - data available in a few days' time.

These are really excellent sets and if yours has the Videocolor (sic.) tube as opposed to an ITT second source, it may well be good. Watch out for high value resistors drifting high on the tube base panel. An isolated chassis with an earth connection is good too.

Leon. (ex Rediffusion).
Old 24th May 2021, 4:12 pm   #13
Leon Crampin
Octode

OK, I've remembered now how these sets are initialised. Colour, brightness and of course, volume are on the hand controller and the desired default settings are entered here. Contrast is not on the controller, hence its presence as a couple of set-up buttons behind the flap. When all these 4 settings are completed, pressing analogue store will give a 1 kHz bleep in the loudspeaker, and ensure that whenever the set is next switched on, these 4 settings will be selected.

I do have a Mk 4A hand controller but unfortunately I can't split it from the set. Other good features of this chassis are 4 Teletext page address stores, fully synthesised tuning enabling set-up to be carried out without a signal, and a VCR input facility which will frequency track (with AFC) a drifting modulator. There are of course baseband video (75 Ohm) and audio inputs on the back, together with a preset AF input level control.

The final circus act is the ability to turn the set fully off with the controller. A circus act, because quite often, the button would fly off the switch. The fix is a rubber Hellermann sleeve on the slotted button shank....

Leon.
Old 24th May 2021, 9:20 pm   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

When I acquired mine I didnt have a remote either, (ISTR a large heavy thing with oval buttons) but Philex or Konig made an aftermarket one with the correct standby-and-off dual power buttons.
Fond memories of watching the dawn of the new millenium on it.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:22 am   #15
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

In case you haven't done it already, resolder the boxy capacitor across the chopper transistor - dry joints here lead to a bit of a disaster. Also there's a resistor (maybe 68k 1W?) on this board that can cause trouble as well.
Great sets - went on a training course to Blackpool on a freezing February week when they were launched.
If you do find a remote, remember it's for a 4A, not the 4.
Old 25th May 2021, 4:41 pm   #16
Bobdger
Hexode

Hi Glyn.

Snap, Complete with a rundown boarding house for the week, far end of Blackpool. Trams on the sea front as well.

Bob.
Old 25th May 2021, 8:30 pm   #17
andrewn
Pentode

I have this Granada remote control spare. Its not from the same model but I still have the instruction book which says model C20CZ4, C22CZ4, C26CZ4. You're welcome to have the remote control for cost of postage if its of any use? Regards, Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_202339.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	234879  
Old 25th May 2021, 9:43 pm   #18
John123
Heptode

Looks a bit Salora/ Finlandia, that remote:

C - Colour
20/22/26 - 20"/ 22"/ 26"
C - 1986
Z - Salora
4 - Granadacolour Teletext

..I think that's right!
Old 26th May 2021, 8:00 am   #19
Leon Crampin
Octode

That's not the correct controller for this set. The correct one is made by Ruwido, uses a PP3 battery and has coloured buttons. Functions per button include standby, off, video mode, preset pages 1,2,3,4 etc.

Leon.
Old 26th May 2021, 9:39 am   #20
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As Leon says, the key way of seeing which is the correct remote is the inclusion of the 'preset pages' buttons. The ordinary Mk4 didn't have these - in fact very few sets did. This uses the CITAC SAB 303X chip set which was very advanced for its time.
Closed Thread