UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2021, 6:21 pm   #1
vhscollector
Diode

Default Panasonic NV-HS860 / NV-HS960 Drum Head Cylinder

Hi all, I've been working on a NV-HS960 Panasonic machine which has been stored away for some time.

Upon powering up the unit everything was ok for a moment until a loud sound presented itself (sounding like friction) after a few minutes of playing with the functions but mainly came from playback.

The drive belt looks to be in good order and not loose.

The drum moves smoothly by hand and the heads have been cleaned.

The sound only slows to a halt when a tape is ejected leading me to believe it is the head mechanism/drum.

I think I have exhausted most routes and now might need to look for another head unit to replace it?

I note that the 860 and 960 both use the same drum type but are there any others which might be easier to find for parts?

The head unit is labeled VXP2049 on the 860 and VXP2050 on the 960 but have not had any luck in finding replacements, I have tried donberg and they don't have anything.

Any help would be very useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20210515_153148.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	234122  
Old 15th May 2021, 7:11 pm   #2
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-HS860 / NV-HS960 Drum Head Cylinder

When you hear the friction sound if you pause the tape? The sound exist or not?
Old 15th May 2021, 10:31 pm   #3
vhscollector
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
When you hear the friction sound if you pause the tape? The sound exist or not?
I was using the functions in the beginning and playback was ok but as the sound started undecided to carry on using the functions although first instinct it to stop everything but I let it run on whilst using the rewind, fast forward, pause and jog/shuttle but it still continues.

So far everything I can gather points me towards the bearings inside the cylinder and now it appears the picture is not being picked up well at all including the audio which both are intermittent, more off than on, fast forwarding shows the image but playback is not good.

Having come this far I decided to look inside the head as I thought the friction sound could be from debris or similar. That said, once assembled this is when I am finding the audio and video has started to drop badly.

I've been told I might be able to source parts from a 900model which looks like it uses an interchangable drum.
Old 18th May 2021, 9:57 pm   #4
IanNVJ35
Heptode

The 900 is not the same drum sadly. 960 has amorphous chips plus a flying erase that the one from the 860 does not have.

Im wondering if you have failing PSU capacitors. They can cause all sorts of weird noises from the head drum motor and capstan too as well as bad picture and sound. Just a thoughtful and worth doing anyway.
Old 23rd May 2021, 9:06 pm   #5
vhscollector
Diode

Thanks for the input, I'm still looking to source a head replacement and if there is no progress from that I will report back.
Old 25th May 2021, 6:47 am   #6
No.1 Labrat
Triode

Where is the static discharge brush? It might need a drop of something like WD-40 on it.
I can not see how the upper drum assembly could cause a bearing like sound.
Just a thought, it might be the rotary transformer windings floating loose in its assembly.

Wayne.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:27 am   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Agree with Ian - unusually capacitor problems can cause all sorts of odd sounds, but I usually found the capstan motor was the one that growled - easily proved by pressing Pause. I suspect they will need changing anyway at this age.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 1:38 am   #8
quimeF66
Diode

Hi! I was working on my Panasonic NV-F66BR with a similar problem: when the head started rotating, after a few minutes (5-10), a constant sound would start to be heard that wouldn't stop until the head did not stop rotating.

I found the solution in this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=90961 .

Removing the small circular metal plate held by 3 torx screws and lubing with one drop of oil worked perfect for me.
Old 4th Nov 2021, 1:04 pm   #9
Pressure Point
Diode

Hi guys,

I have a brand new, sealed VXP2049 VHS head. Anybody interested?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	244981  
Old 9th Dec 2021, 6:06 pm   #10
Dhopkins97
Diode

Hello Pressure point I would like to purchase this head from you please. Dave.
Closed Thread