UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2021, 4:58 pm   #81
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Not saved (Oh go on then...) Ferguson 59P7A.

Good luck trying to follow the video! although that depends which one it is! There were two, one presumably from Thomson as the narrator had a distinct French accent (although his English is far better than my French!), the second, which I take it was from Thorn was easier to follow.
As a side note without derailing Johns thread, I cannot find any reference to model 51L5 anywhere Was this an Irish only model?

Ps. I still have a copy of the original French accented one.
Old 9th Jul 2021, 6:08 pm   #82
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Good luck trying to follow the video! although that depends which one it is! There were two, one presumably from Thomson as the narrator had a distinct French accent (although his English is far better than my French!), the second, which I take it was from Thorn was easier to follow.
As a side note without derailing Johns thread, I cannot find any reference to model 51L5 anywhere Was this an Irish only model?

I'll check the video out once its delivered and see which one it is.

As to the 51L5 im not sure, theres a manual for it for sale on eBay. I think ive seen it mentioned in one of the service tips in Feedback also (cant be 100% sure on that, there were sooooo many service tips for ICC5)

All the Irish Models had an E prefix during this era up till the later T14/51/59 Models were introduced I believe, so any Irish ones would have been E51K5, E59K7 etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210709-180220_eBay.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	237373  
Old 9th Jul 2021, 6:19 pm   #83
Red to black
Nonode

Thanks for that, makes sense in the weird and wonderful world of Thomson
Old 9th Jul 2021, 6:37 pm   #84
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Luke, I managed to gain access to the 51K5. As the picture shows it's been keeping company with three console radios.
Found the correct remote control handset for the set as well as a spare one, although it might have different codes.
The set has the date code 03 89.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ferguson_51K5.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	237374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson_51K5_RCU.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	237375  
Old 9th Jul 2021, 7:03 pm   #85
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Hi Luke, I managed to gain access to the 51K5. As the picture shows it's been keeping company with three console radios.
Found the correct remote control handset for the set as well as a spare one, although it might have different codes.
The set has the date code 03 89.

DFWB.
Hi David,

Wow, TV looks great considering its 32 years old, even more considering its been sat idle since 1994, Once I get it over here I'll give it a good clean, I found baby wipes are great for cleaning them. Excellent you found the remotes too.

Do you remember was it working before it was taken out of service and put into storage?
Old 9th Jul 2021, 7:31 pm   #86
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Luke,
I seem to remember the flyback capacitor failed but that wasn't the reason why the set was retired from service. We bought an ITT-Nokia set with a bigger screen. I do remember that set would often go into standby when a fluorescent light was switched on.
There might be some ICC5 spare parts in the workshop.

DFWB.
Old 9th Jul 2021, 7:48 pm   #87
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi David,

So theres a very slim chance it might not need much done to it to get it going, Once it arrives I'll have to give the board a good once over and change any dodgy looking caps before i apply power to it, I imagine just like the IKC2's i have there will be plenty of dry joints to be tended to.

Odd that the Nokia would go to standby with flourecent lights, did you ever figure out why?

Would appreciate any ICC5 spare parts you might have, I had a quick look online for power supply repair kits for ICC5 and theres not much left around.

First thing i'll definatly be doing is replacing the WIMA mains filter, dont want another smoke show like the one my IKC2 gave last year
Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:29 am   #88
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Slight subject drift again but I found a picture of the 51L5 in Ferguson Feedback, looks like it was introduced in June 1990, the very next new series afterwards was the 41P3 which launched the IKC2 Chassis in August 1990.

The 51L5 and K5 appear to be identical in terms of design and specs so i am wondering what the purpose of the L5 going to market was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210711_225940.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	237527  
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 3:05 pm   #89
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post

Video arrived this morning and ive just finished watching it, its definatly not the french one, the narrator has an english accent, Video produced in London according to the end credits. Actualy a very good video, goes over testing the power supply, timebase and E-W circuits and has a great hits and tips section at the end including the three trips scenario. Will definatly come in handy once the 51K5 arrives and then again when the 59P7 Arrives. Hopefully I'll have two fully working ICC5's soon
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 3:06 pm   #90
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Forgot to mention in the video the test set the engineer is using is a 51K5
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 4:18 pm   #91
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I have the ICC5 training tape, or at least I think still have it. Can't remember ever giving it away. It's the one in which the narration was by a chap with a vey distinct French accent.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 4:28 pm   #92
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
I have the ICC5 training tape, or at least I think still have it. Can't remember ever giving it away. It's the one in which the narration was by a chap with a vey distinct French accent.

DFWB.
There was definatly two different tapes then one by Thomson and the one Ive got which i think Ferguson commsioned to account for slight variations in their sets maybe.

In the video they mention different voltages between versions of the chassis, mostly in the 13v and 21v lines, Guy in my video is not french anyway. Says it was produced in 1994 in London. The 51K5 in the video has had a fair bit of use, the text on the buttons on the front was all faded.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:29 pm   #93
slidertogrid
Octode

If some engineers had recorded the 'how to fix your ICC5' video it would say "first open the workshop door, Take hold of the set firmly, carry it to the door and sling it as far as you can, If you have an assistant to hand you should be able to get it further. Then with a broom sweep up the remains and shovel it into a bin."
Tools needed: Shovel, Broom, hard surface, bin or skip.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:34 pm   #94
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
If some engineers had recorded the 'how to fix your ICC5' video it would say "first open the workshop door, Take hold of the set firmly, carry it to the door and sling it as far as you can, If you have an assistant to hand you should be able to get it further. Then with a broom sweep up the remains and shovel it into a bin."
Tools needed: Shovel, Broom, hard surface, bin or skip.

Even in the video the guys voice was starting to go horse listing out all the parts that may need to be changed in the event of a fault
Old 1st Aug 2021, 8:50 pm   #95
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Not saved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
When I read this I expected to see a Fidelity AVS2000

Mine is still in working order on all systems, probably the only one left in the UK - fast becoming a real collectors item

Just waiting for John to tell us about the council tower blocks with the non-working lifts and the smelly stair wells and the 16th floor balcony.....come on John!
Hi.

Unless I'm much mistaken, is that John chucking one of his 'favourite' TVs out of the window into the back of a lorry? https://youtu.be/qtjfWs9Yc7Y?t=453

Regards.
Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 1st Aug 2021 at 9:11 pm. Reason: quotes
Old 4th Oct 2021, 10:42 am   #96
FERNSEH
Dekatron

More pictures of the 51K5. The set is now in the workshop and is being prepared for dispatch to it's new owner.
It was in 1994 when the set was last switched on.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ferguson_51K5_6.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	242705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson_51K5_3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	242706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson_1990s_Promo_material.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	242707  
Old 4th Oct 2021, 11:00 am   #97
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
More pictures of the 51K5. The set is now in the workshop and is being prepared for dispatch to it's new owner.
It was in 1994 when the set was last switched on.

DFWB.
Wow, it looks incredible inside considering its been sat since 1994. Looking forward even more now to its arrival. Those info sheets look like they could be intresting.

Wouldnt it be a miracle if when its powered on it just works
Closed Thread