UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:14 pm   #41
jayceebee
Heptode

Default Re: Not saved (Oh go on then...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
To whet you appetite for all things ICC5 some pictures including one model I never sold or rented, the model 59Q7. Same cabinet as the 59P7 but has the IKC2 chassis.

DFWB.
Now that's interesting. I have never heard of a 59Q7 but have come across the 59P7B, same cabinet as the 59P7A and the Q7 shown. These were also fitted with the IKC2 chassis but were released in error, at D.E.R. if we came across a 59P7B we were told to withdraw them from the field and give the customer an exchange to an equivalent model. It soon became apparent so many had been released that the exchange order was dropped and we were just to repair them.

John.

Last edited by jayceebee; 2nd Jul 2019 at 10:20 pm.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:22 pm   #42
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

My Grandad had one of those shown in the 1987 brochure! Lasted til 2003, when it was replaced with a Panasonic widescreen set, and it was still working at that point. Shame I didn’t think to save it at the time! Watched many hours of Disney films with my cousins at family get togethers on that set, back in the days when we were nippers! It was coupled with a nice Ferguson VHS machine too, which used to tell you there was a tape loaded on the actual tape door.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 10:52 pm   #43
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
It was coupled with a nice Ferguson VHS machine too, which used to tell you there was a tape loaded on the actual tape door.

Regards
Lloyd
My aunt & uncle had one of those from 1986 to sometime in the 1990s, I remember the flap having "Tape Loaded" on it.

It was replaced by a Hitachi stereo TV & VCR combo which was in use into the 21st century, possibly up to the digital switchover.
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 11:53 pm   #44
davyrocket2
Pentode

Hello David fix it just for posterity,But my preference was for the TX 10 37373 ,that gave me many years of viewing ,although when it was given to me I had to replace the A66/540, I owned it for 18 years and replaced the focus unit twice and 1 frame chip ,i did replace the tube again 8 years after I got it and that tube failed after 6 years but it was I think a very good set and decent sound ,I even bought the earlier version with the 1550 metal framed chassis and also replaced the tube twice in 15 years use and also had to sort out a high HT fault
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 12:44 pm   #45
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Not saved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans View Post
If the sets were fault free I would have been out of business.
Amen!
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:06 pm   #46
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
It was coupled with a nice Ferguson VHS machine too, which used to tell you there was a tape loaded on the actual tape door.

Regards
Lloyd
My aunt & uncle had one of those from 1986 to sometime in the 1990s, I remember the flap having "Tape Loaded" on it.

It was replaced by a Hitachi stereo TV & VCR combo which was in use into the 21st century, possibly up to the digital switchover.
I have one of those currently, coupled to a B&O 8802 it's a really neat touch that double-flap loading door. Model No. 8947 still in good unrestored working order today.
Old 4th Jul 2019, 12:48 pm   #47
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You're right about the 90-degree ICC5 - they were pretty good in comparison, though the tube wasn't as good. Mind you, lots of burnt fingers from the hot melt needed to repair the buttons when the replacements dried up!
The bread and butter sets were welcome in the workshop - predictable faults, not too reliable but likey to work for a respectable time before they came in again. It's still the case - we moan about Vestel sets, but bring in a nice 40" needing backiights ahead of a Loewe any day!
Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:00 pm   #48
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote Welsh Anorak: "we moan about Vestel sets, but bring in a nice 40" needing backiights ahead of a Loewe any day!"

I think I'll rather fix an ICC5 than fit replacement LED strips.

Quote davyrocket2: "Hello David fix it just for posterity,"

Next week, rather than kick it down the stairs let's take a look at my own ICC5 set. Don't forget folks to remind be to do that.

DFWB.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:11 pm   #49
Maarten
Dekatron

I don't particularly like replacing backlights either, but a man 's gotta do what a man 's gotta do.

@Welsh Anorak: What about a 40" Loewe made by Vestel then? (I'll get me coat)
Old 10th Jul 2019, 5:08 pm   #50
jayceebee
Heptode

Hi Rich, you have a PM.

John.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:35 am   #51
its ur aerial
Hexode

RE, Slidertogrids posting, and Mr Sugars " Mug attractive," I once called at a customer's house to repair a just out of G tee Amstrad TS 99, the Customer, a well educated middle class lady had taken umbridge that her Hi Fi had failed and had written a four page letter, in immaculate grammar to Mr Sugar, registering her disgust that her Audio unit had failed 13 months after purchase, (O/P Chip I vaguely recall )
She received a very brief six word personal reply, in typical Mr Sugar format, stating, "what do you expect for £99 ".
Well he was honest.
Who remembers the Amstrad 2200 TV ?
Ken,
G6HZG.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:50 am   #52
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"Who remembers the Amstrad 2200 TV ?
Ken,"

Horrible thing, but was a useful source of A56-540X CRTs. I'd rather fix ICC5 TVs than the Amstrad 2200. The 2200 was simply "more trash for your cash".

DFWB.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 12:16 pm   #53
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Ken,"

Horrible thing, but was a useful source of A56-540X CRTs. I'd rather fix ICC5 TVs than the Amstrad 2200. The 2200 was simply "more trash for your cash".

DFWB.
As I have mentioned before, I still think we had the exception to the rule. My Dad picked up a couple of these sets when they came out. The one my grandma had, despite some frame foldover, later served me until circa 2000 at a student house. Surely that has to be some kind of record. Just had to clean the brightness-contrast pots behind one of the flaps.

A few months before it died I actually saw another one at the local tip. I later wished I had picked it up so I could have made a worker from the two!
Old 13th Jul 2019, 4:40 pm   #54
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Ken,"

DFWB.
Yes this was the Amstrad "Superwide" It looked like a stereo set but just had two crappy speakers It wasn't nicam I am not even sure it was Stereo via a VCR...
It had a PCB that was more suited to a portable with a rats nest of wiring. I heard that Amstrad bought the "chassis" in from abroad and assembled ( well threw them together) Here .
That would explain why it had a Mullard CRT. I suppose they could ship more per container this way?
Many a K30 had it's life extended due to an Amstrad tube donor!

Anyway John picked the Ferguson up on Thursday so it is now with someone who appreciates it rather than someone who was tempted to drive a steamroller over it and dance on it's grave...
Hopefully we will see how easy a fix - or not - it is...
Good luck John!

Rich.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 5:54 pm   #55
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Yes this was the Amstrad "Superwide" It looked like a stereo set but just had two crappy speakers It wasn't nicam I am not even sure it was Stereo via a VCR...
It had a PCB that was more suited to a portable with a rats nest of wiring. I heard that Amstrad bought the "chassis" in from abroad and assembled ( well threw them together)
The sets were indeed mono, with speakers in parallel! No inputs etc, only a solitary UHF coax aerial socket. And yes, that square pcb with a mass of wires was awful. Probably Orion made, as was much of the Amstrad kit of the time.
The big attraction was teletext and remote control at a knock down price.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 8:36 pm   #56
FERNSEH
Dekatron

slidertogrid wrote: "Amstrad bought the "chassis" in from abroad and assembled ( well threw them together) Here ."
Amstrad had a factory in Shoeburyness, Essex.
Most likely the main chassis was made by Orion in Hong Kong.

We're all looking forward to the successful restoration of the Ferguson 59P7.

DFWB.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:36 pm   #57
Richard_FM
Nonode

After Amstrad bought Fidelity did they continue to use it's factories?
Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:05 pm   #58
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I believe Amstrad just bought the Fidelity brand name and in due course the Fidelity factory closed.
Products were marketed as Amstrad-Fidelity.

DFWB.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:30 am   #59
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It probably was Orion sourced, but their stuff was usually pretty good for budget sets. The CTV1400 with a dry jointed line driver transformer comes to mind, and most Matui/Saishos were easy fixes. However the use of a TDA3652 frame IC in the CTV2200 was an odd choice for them, and the source of much of the trouble - if you discount the exploding PSU and rat's nest wiring, of course. Maybe they had little experience in large-screen sets and just modified a portable chassis? That's what it looked like.
I seem to remember the front plastic shelf of the cabinet used to split and come away as you carried it.
We sold a few reconditioned K30s with excellent CRTs to owners of dying Amstrads. Guess where the nice CRTs came from??
Old 7th Jul 2021, 12:03 am   #60
Station X

Thread reopened.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread