UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2016, 5:37 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Panasonic NV-L25 vs NV-J35

Hey,

Got hold of a J35 to go with my L25 since they are both similar in design.

After getting it and using it it's pretty clear it's just the L25 with a facelift. All the functions are the same the display layout is identical and the mechanicals all sound the same.

Haven't had the covers off both side by side to compare yet, but do I really have to?

The picture quality on the J35 has to be one of the best in my collection for playing back recorded tapes. The colour depth is a bit lacking compared to some of the other machines but it's made up by the clarity on both sp and lp recordings.

Shame about the mono sound and like the L25 has a bit of background noise even with the filter on.

The only thing that the J35 has that the L25 doesn't is a scary socket and the ability to play my ntsc tapes.

Anyone able to clarify if I'm on the right tracks with my presumption?

Cheers

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6722.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	132338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6723.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	132339  
Old 6th Nov 2016, 7:05 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-L25 vs NV-J35

A lab I used to work in had an NV-J35 especially for its ability to play back NTSC tapes by creating a sort of 60Hz PAL which most TV sets would display. I would expect there to be significant differences in the servos to allow for the 60Hz field rate and thus different tape speed of NTSC tapes, as well as the extra colour-manipulating gubbins. The circuit boards will probably look noticeably different, I expect.

Chris
Old 6th Nov 2016, 7:10 pm   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

I can get the L25 to play ntsc tapes at the correct speed but they are in black and white.

May be a fault causing that as I can't see the machine playing at the right speed if it wasn't ntsc enabled.
I will whip the covers off later and have a look.

Just checked the user manual and it claims the L25 can playback ntsc tapes. Looks like I will have to look into the black and white picture...

Here's what's happening with the L25, the J35 plays the ntsc tapes perfectly.
Heads have been cleaned.

https://youtu.be/3xJmRw4hcsA

Cheers
Old 6th Nov 2016, 8:14 pm   #4
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Spot the difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6741.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	132351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6740.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	132352  
Old 6th Nov 2016, 10:57 pm   #5
Tester.
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vauxfan2k View Post
Shame about the mono sound and like the L25 has a bit of background noise even with the filter on.
None of those models sport AUDIO noise reduction, the switch on the front is for a VIDEO filter.
Old 6th Nov 2016, 11:13 pm   #6
John123
Heptode

Unless stated otherwise, machines like this will usually output 'modified' NTSC (NTSC 4.43MHz) when playing back NTSC tapes. I would think a modern LCD would be able to handle it, unless there's something up with the VCR. Maybe try another TV.
Old 6th Nov 2016, 11:20 pm   #7
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

I have 5 other machines that playback ntsc, they all work fine on this Samsung tv. Altho the L25 is the only machine that is using phono connections as it has no scart.

I've tried using a scart adaptor socket and connecting into the phono inputs of the tv, results are the same.

Pre recorded and recorded tapes in pal work perfectly on the L25.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 2:08 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

The absence of a SCARY-plug is determined by the suffix letter behind the model number. The L25 and J35 were probably only 1 model year apart, and some other L-models indeed have different power supplies and main boards as far as I can remember.

You could have a look at the year and month of manufacture; they are encoded in the first part of the serial number.

Last edited by Maarten; 10th Nov 2016 at 2:15 pm.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 5:09 pm   #9
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Will have a look tomorrow when I get a chance at the serial numbers.

My phone keeps changing scart to scary lol.

No joy in getting the ntsc function sorted on the L25 tho. Must be a duff ic. Not really important, and not worth my while tearing the machine apart to sort.
Closed Thread