UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2016, 8:28 pm   #1
BigClick
Hexode

Default Baking Powder and Super Glue

Hi Folks,

I did a search but can't find any mention of this trick so I thought I would post about something I came across when setting up guitars that could be useful in restoring Bakelite and other types of plastic knobs etc.

When filing the slots for strings on guitar nuts it can sometimes happen that the cut is overdone and as a result the string buzzes.

To get around this the slot is filled with baking powder and then runny super glue is dripped into the powder.

This makes a rock hard repair and the slot can be re-cut.

I used this technique today to build the sidewall back up on a tuning drive drum, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drum01.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	118986   Click image for larger version

Name:	drum02.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	118987  
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:16 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Baking Powder and Super Glue

I like that idea! I'll have to give it a go sometime. If it can be coloured with something that doesn't weaken the bond then it'll make a really good filler on Bakelite. I have previously used super glue on it's own for bakelite repairs with very good success, just takes a while when there is a sizeable hole to fill!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:17 pm   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

We used to use this trick for model making years ago, for example where you'd need a perfect seam where two aircraft fuselage halves join together. I've used it more recently myself in Bakelite cabinet repair.

Sometimes when you get a break in Bakelite it's a clean break but with a little flaking. This method is pretty good for filling those little flakes up. The mixture polishes up well though there will undoubtedly be little pinholes. These can be filled up with an Acrylic varnish - we used to use an acrylic liquid floor polish product from Johnsons - and buffed back again.

Though this was back in the early 2000's I should add that occasionally some guys mentioned the bare joint would absorb water, I assume via the baking powder, over time and weep a little.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrewausfa; 26th Jan 2016 at 9:23 pm.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:42 pm   #4
Red to black
Nonode

I suppose this is the modern 'clean' version of the old fag ash and superglue trick , I never thought of using baking powder though
Old 26th Jan 2016, 10:43 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think talc was originally one of the fine fillers for bakelite manufacturing, maybe that'd be a more sophisticated ingredient?
Old 26th Jan 2016, 11:46 pm   #6
BigClick
Hexode

There is some exothermic (?) reaction that takes place between the glue and the carbonate making the mixture solid, I havent noticed an increase in heat in the past but I have seen comments from others that the mixture does get warm.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 12:10 am   #7
fetteler
Octode

Very interesting trick - thanks for passing it on.

Can I just clear up one point? Do you mean baking powder (a mixture of flour and sodium bicarbonate) or pure sodium bicarbonate?

Thanks,
Steve.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 12:28 am   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Yes, I've used it and there seems to be some sort of chemical reaction between the two that creates a very strong filler/glue. However it should be bicarbonate of soda (baking soda in America) and not baking powder.

David
Old 27th Jan 2016, 12:41 am   #9
fetteler
Octode

Ta
Old 27th Jan 2016, 12:52 am   #10
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Can I just clear up one point? Do you mean baking powder (a mixture of flour and sodium bicarbonate) or pure sodium bicarbonate?
I use baking powder... Disodium sulphate, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate and Calcium Sulphate.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 9:46 am   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

Like the OP I have been using this method in my guitar setups services that I provide for many years. However, instead of using baking powder, I use bone filings. Firstly, the best guitar nuts are made from bone so using the same material to correct a badly cut nut slot is apt, and secondly it is a very good material for the purpose. Whenever I do any filing work on a bone nut or saddle, there is always a small heap of bone filings that are carefully collected up and kept for this purpose. You can of course get a large beef knuckle joint bone and take a hacksaw or a file to to it to get a good supply. In terms of using the stuff, in a guitar nut I fill the slot with the ground bone then tamp it down with a screwdriver blade to increase its density before dropping on a few drops of thin superglue using a piece of wire. Obviously it will be more difficult to tamp down filing in a more 'open' scenario, but where you can, all the better.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 4:26 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

I've used Talc before and I believe it was used as an ingredient of fine surface car "bodge".
It is a silicate so less likely to absorb water, I think any very fine, non organic powder should work in this situation.

Ed
Old 27th Jan 2016, 7:30 pm   #13
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
However it should be bicarbonate of soda (baking soda in America) and not baking powder.
Ha ha that is maybe why I have not witnessed the fill getting warm, I will try pure bicarbonate of soda next time.

I'l get me coat
Old 16th Feb 2016, 10:17 am   #14
terrybull
Octode

http://youtu.be/slCMkvEfK_U
Old 16th Feb 2016, 11:19 am   #15
camtechman
Nonode

Super Glue & Saliva also makes a good hard filler.
Old 16th Feb 2016, 1:48 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

There's got to be a connection to spit'n'sawdust here somewhere.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Feb 2016, 3:23 pm   #17
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

You can also (at a price!) purchase a filler from car accessory stores that comprises of - super glue and two types of powder fillers, grey for flexible plastic and black for rigid plastic.

I have used it for repair of an aluminium alloy gearbox casting on my camper van and to stitch together a cracked glass fibre bumper prior to final repair with glass fibre and resin.
In both cases the result was excellent

The reaction between the super glue and the filler did get warm.
It seems as though it would be good for repairing plastic parts on radios/TV etc.

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 21st Feb 2016, 12:56 am   #18
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Baking powder in cooking has Sodium Bicarbonate and an acid compound... the idea being that the acid and alkali compounds react under heat producing C02 to make the cake rise.
Something you may/may not have to consider (ie the prospect of bubbles) if your glue mixture is used in a warm situation

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 21st Feb 2016 at 1:03 am.
Closed Thread