UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2012, 9:29 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Switch Cleaner

Farnell are selling 200ml cans of pro-power contact cleaner on special offer for £2.21 plus vat each.
Old 12th Jan 2012, 2:45 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: Switch Cleaner

CPC seems even cheaper at £2.08 including VAT ...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayPr...=aballbrochure

It's a good price, but is this stuff any good compared to the more expensive brands like Servisol?
Old 12th Jan 2012, 11:08 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

I wonder if ProPower is a brand name for Farnell/CPC?
Old 12th Jan 2012, 11:50 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

It is Michael.
Might be OK for some things though!
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 11:57 pm   #5
mikstick
Retired Dormant Member

Talking of which, is Servisol Super 10 good for 30-40 year old pots? Will it clean and lube?
Old 4th Jul 2012, 10:09 am   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Switch Cleaner

Hi,
Yes, it's good for any pot no matter how old. But it won't cure a crackly pot if its track is worn out!
Cheers, Pete
Old 5th Jul 2012, 2:15 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I'm always very wary of switch cleaner near plastic - distant memories of GEC and ITT televisions whose on-off switch fell into the set due to the fumes rotting the plastic! Of course on real metal chassis this isn't a problem.
I remember a colleague was repairing a Thorn 1400 and sprayed the system swith with cleaner to complete the job. On changing channels the switch burst into flames taking the set - and very nearly his workshop - with it!
The Philips cleaner in the red can (now sadly obsolete) was the only one I'd trust - more expensive but I could sleep soundly at night - or was that due to the tricloroethane?
Glyn
Old 6th Jul 2012, 1:06 am   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Switch Cleaner

Just a quick on-topic contribution: 'Servisol' switch cleaner does act reasonably well as sticky label remover - but only it seems with some types of sticky labels.

Al.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 1:15 am   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Indeed Glyn: rotting the plastic - and even worse horrors: I do recall well! I suspect that the prime reason for those 'faults' was that some switch cleaners - then and possibly even now - contain various petroleum distillates! For many years since I have always used 'Servisol': no disasters . . . yet.

Al.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 9:01 am   #10
PaulR
Dekatron

I was about to start a thread on recommended switch cleaners wnen I saw this one which sort of makes the point.

I have used Servisol and I have to say that after a short while I have found that the switch returns to the state it was before I started. I have read a few threads where Deoxit is mentioned. This is far more expensive than the others at over £10 (if not over £20) for a can. If it works I would willingly buy it and I would be interested to know the views of others about it. There also seem to be several versions of it - which is the best?

Thanks

Paul
Old 6th Jul 2012, 10:25 am   #11
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Sometime ago, one member of the forum gave Deoxit a very favourable report after he had used it on the coil-pack contacts of his HRO. He was convinced that it had solved a problem which other cleaners had failed to do so. Subsequently, I bought a Deoxit aerosol can (£26) and tried it on a few things but I've yet to see any result which would convince me that it is anything special or worth the price.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 11:36 pm   #12
Outrun_uk
Heptode

When I started in my current job last November I was suprised to find no switch cleaner in the workshop. When I asked the boss he told me the same as what Al/Glyn have said about it rotting plastic over a period of time. I'd never heard of this until then!
We use silicone lubricant in spray form which works well... now what should I do with my stock of "normal" switch cleaner?!?
Old 7th Jul 2012, 1:55 am   #13
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun_uk View Post
We use silicone lubricant in spray form which works well... now what should I do with my stock of "normal" switch cleaner?!?
I was under the impression that silicone is the last thing you want on an electrical contact, but I guess it depends on how the two surfaces move against each other, and what sort of voltage is present. A friend who worked at a company making electronic sensors told me that silicone sprays were banned from the building, even for polishing surfaces in the offices.
Old 7th Jul 2012, 9:48 am   #14
GMB
Dekatron

Yes, I have heard a number of horror stories about silicone.

It's nasty feature is that it will creep along surfaces and so reach contacts that were not hit by the spray directly.

Being a super insulator it doesn't help switch contacts at all.
Old 7th Jul 2012, 11:27 am   #15
kalee20
Dekatron

And keep away from relays - some have silver/palladium contacts. Palladium is nearly as good a catalyst as platinum, and silicone can easily form a polymer, or thin film of plastic, bonded to the contact!
Old 7th Jul 2012, 11:32 am   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I have to say that I've never had any plastic-related problems with Servisol 10 (in the red/white can) in the 25 years that I've used it.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I suspect that it was older formulations that caused problems like this.
Nick.
Old 9th Jul 2012, 1:00 pm   #17
newlite4
Octode

The one to avoid was the old RS switch cleaner in the tin with the metal dropper. This has been unavailable since the early nineties since it contained trichloroethane, a banned substance. It was fine for use around bakelite housings but not anywhere near polystyrene where it would do some damage.
Neil
Old 9th Jul 2012, 4:37 pm   #18
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

De-Oxit is indeed superb,though read latest PracticalWireless re WD40.
Old 9th Jul 2012, 4:38 pm   #19
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I used the RS stuff Neil in the 60s and it certainly melted the plastic! Had a can for years but think I must have disposed of it.
Old 9th Jul 2012, 10:43 pm   #20
ajs37
Heptode

I have just had a look at a Vega Selena that Chris Wood gave me last weekend.

It seems to have some damage to the turret tuner; the plastic bar that holds the static contacts is cracked in 3 places and it is discoloured and there is evidence that somebody sprayed it liberally with contact cleaner instead of cleaning it properly. I don't know which cleaner was used of course, but it seems to have done the damage!

The radio actually works (after a fashion), after a good clean of the contacts using a fibre glass pen.

Cheers,
Andy
Closed Thread