UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2009, 9:52 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Cleaning speaker cloth

Having read on the Forum that some restorers wash the original speaker cloth clean, rather than replacing it, I tried it today and have had remarkable success with a piece of 'Tygan' from a late '50s Ekco.

You know how the cloth gets dirty over the speaker aperture, especially when the set has been used in the home of a smoker for many years? I carefully peeled the cloth away from the baffle board and first tried warm water and detergent, which removed about half the staining. I then soaked it in dilute bleach, which removed about half the remaining staining. I then tried soaking in a hot solution of 'Vanish Oxy-Action' which had little effect. I had just decided to put the cloth through the washing machine when I came across a bottle of 'Shout' stain remover under the sink... fantastic result! Following the instructions I soaked the cloth both sides with the liquid, waited 1 minute and rinsed off. Absolutely no trace of staining remained, and the cloth looks as-new.

I have no connections with the makers (Johnsons) but whatever's in this stuff certainly works unbelievably well. The 'before' and 'after' photos show the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker cloth 002.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	26138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker cloth 005.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	26139  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 7th Jun 2009, 10:11 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Cleaning speaker cloth

Ekco generally used nylon speaker cloth in the 1950s and this is relatively easy to clean, since it is colourfast and doesn't shrink when wetted. It's often possible to clean the dirt off with foaming cleaner without removing the cloth from the baffle if the glue is in good condition.

Some cotton based speaker fabrics can be much trickier though.

Vanish Oxy-Action amd similar products are effectively hydrogen peroxide bleach, sometimes called 'laundry bleach'. It is generally less effective than chlorine bleach but is kinder on the material being bleached.

Paul
Old 7th Jun 2009, 10:25 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have had great success with nylon type cloth using flash spray cleaner with bleach, simply spray on & wipe with a sponge.
Quote:
Some cotton based speaker fabrics can be much trickier though.
I have found (through trial & error) vanish carpet cleaner to be about the best thing i have used, (worked a treat on a '30s GEC).

Mark
Old 8th Jun 2009, 12:25 am   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
...clean the dirt off with foaming cleaner...
Paul
I've heard of this, but not seen it - is there a recommended make or source, please? I've got some car upholstery cleaner, is that the same sort of stuff?

Old 8th Jun 2009, 12:30 am   #5
paulsherwin

There are lots of foaming cleaners, and most of them seem very similar (obviously excepting caustic stuff like oven cleaner.) I mostly use Powerforce Bathroom Cleaner from Aldi, which is 99p a can. It's also good for removing nicotine stains from cabinets.

Paul
Old 8th Jun 2009, 12:36 am   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks Paul. I pass an Aldi on my way home, so will pop in tomorrow. Is this cleaner also good for rexine?

I have found Tesco wet wipes good for removing nicotine stains.

Old 8th Jun 2009, 7:17 pm   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Ive never had much luck with speaker cloth in my experience the cotton/silk types just fall to bits
Old 8th Jun 2009, 7:52 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Thanks Paul. I pass an Aldi on my way home, so will pop in tomorrow. Is this cleaner also good for rexine?
You need to be careful when using any detergent with Rexine, as it tends to make the colour fade. Some people report that the colour returns if the detergent application is followed by a wipedown with IPA or meths, but I've no personal experience of this.

Paul
Old 10th Jun 2009, 8:03 am   #9
davidw
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
I've got some car upholstery cleaner, is that the same sort of stuff?
Thats what I use..even the "pound shop" brands seem to work fine.
Closed Thread