UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2009, 6:30 pm   #1
harrym1byt
Retired Dormant Member

Default No cost parts storage!

I don't know if this is still true, but five years ago Haribo used to deliver their loose sweeties to the sweet shops in some rather useful plastic boxes with attached lids. Once empty the sweet shops throw them out. These are a perfect size and shape for storage of various electonics bits and having perfectly square corners they stack easily on shelves - shoebox shaped, but a little smaller.

I collected about 50 of them from a local shop who were happy to just get them out of the way for free.
Old 1st Jan 2009, 6:41 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: No cost parts storage!

These are certainly useful containers, but it's understandably difficult to persuade shopkeepers to save them for you if you're not a regular customer. You sometimes see them put out with other rubbish and can liberate them

Litre ice cream containers make good storage boxes too.

Paul
Old 1st Jan 2009, 7:00 pm   #3
Oldtestgear
Hexode

Talking Re: No cost parts storage!

Another free storage option are the plastic trays used for mushroom packing. These trays are great for storing medium sized bits and will stack quite well. Thanks to some dodgy EU Regulation these are NOT returned for reuse but usually dumped. Try your local green grocer if one exists!
Definitely useful & helping your local shop to get rid of waste at zero cost also helps them.
Absolutely amazing what is thrown away in this country.

Phil
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 9:02 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

That's a good idea Phil
I have recently started using Mushroom crates to store valves. Most of the B9A based series of valves(and any smaller) will fit upright in their boxes, and most others lying down. Of course the mushroom crates themselves are stackable, thus protecting your precious valves. Some boxes even have space for an index card
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 10:58 pm   #5
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtestgear View Post
Another free storage option are the plastic trays used for mushroom packing. These trays are great for storing medium sized bits and will stack quite well. Thanks to some dodgy EU Regulation these are NOT returned for reuse but usually dumped. Try your local green grocer if one exists!
Definitely useful & helping your local shop to get rid of waste at zero cost also helps them.
Absolutely amazing what is thrown away in this country.

Phil
I recently aquired a load of these from one of our local Chinese takeaways theonly snag seems to be they are a bit brittle so more usefull for long term storage.

Mike
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 4:28 pm   #6
llama
Octode

I use plastic milk bottles quite a lot - 1, 2 and 4 pint. Either cut the top off where it ceases to have parallel sides or, my preference, just cut off the spout and an area around it and you've got storage complete with a handle!
Graham
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:16 pm   #7
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Try your local fruit shop, as well as the blue mushroom crates you should find much stronger and sturdier black or dark green trays which i think are used for butternut squash. Again they are just waste to the fruit shop so in most cases you should get them for free

All the best,

Chris.
Old 26th Mar 2009, 11:09 am   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

If you, or anyone you know, drinks Nescafe Cappuccino coffee - save the wee brown plastic containers that hold the chocolate powder. They are the ideal size for storing or transporting most B7G or B9A valves. Very tough, and there is just enough diameter to wrap the valve in some tissue paper.
For bigger valves, or for transporting the smaller valves complete with their original box - ask you local draper to save the h/duty cardboard tubes that bolts of cloth are rolled around, and cut to size. The internal dia is usually big enough to also take a layer of bubble-wrap.

Regards, David
Old 26th Mar 2009, 11:51 am   #9
Tim
Dekatron

The boxes used for bottles of cough syrup and the like are perfect for some Octal valves.
I imagine 35mm film cans would also be useful for small parts, but I don't know how available they are these days.
And of course baby food jars.
Old 26th Mar 2009, 12:05 pm   #10
paulsherwin

The cardboard boxes used for compact fluorescent light bulbs are excellent if you need to post valves. They're big enough to hold the smaller octal types. If you live in southern England, Robert Dyas are currently selling 10 for £1 - worth buying just for the boxes!

For bigger valves, the cardboard tubes containing bottles of single malt whisky are ideal. You just need to cut them down to the right length with a good pair of scissors. It gives you an excuse to buy more whisky too

Paul
Old 26th Mar 2009, 12:09 pm   #11
richrussell
Heptode

I changed which Chinese takeaway I go to in order to get stronger plastic containers.
Old 26th Mar 2009, 12:21 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I imagine 35mm film cans would also be useful for small parts, but I don't know how available they are these days.
Go to your local high street processor when they're quiet and ask if you can have some. If they process films onsite (most do, even now) they will have vast numbers to give away. The last time I did this I was given a carrier bag containing hundreds, and asked if I wanted any more

Paul
Old 26th Mar 2009, 12:31 pm   #13
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
The cardboard boxes used for compact fluorescent light bulbs are excellent if you need to post valves
I forgot about those!
Old 26th Mar 2009, 3:17 pm   #14
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrussell View Post
I changed which Chinese takeaway I go to in order to get stronger plastic containers.
Actually since we have mentioned chinese takeaway's, our local chinese has started using little "tupperware" style boxes to store the food in. Not as sturdy as the tupperware version but good enough for small parts and best of all is the price...free when you partake of the superb food!

All the best,

Chris.
Closed Thread