UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2021, 3:32 pm   #21
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Italian CRT monitor

I realise it's not set in stone, I checked Wikipedia and it is possible that I missed something. Worth noting that there are two Ducati companies in their list, Ducati Energia are mainly electronics and Ducati do motor vehicles. I still think that the OT monitor was made by Indesit, perhaps a message to Indesit would help to confirm it. They may have an archive dept like many other big name companies do.

Dave
Old 15th Mar 2021, 12:06 am   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

I know Ducati mainly from capacitors, but they did make some radio sets until the 1950's. That would be Ducati Energia and they would probably not have made TV sets or monitors in the 1970's.

Indesit is a likely candidate, though they might not know about it anymore. Maybe looking up Indesit models on the Obsolete Tellyemuseum will produce something.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 9:56 pm   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

3 more italian chassis monitor manufacturers I've come across are Selti, Cabel and Iris. (this one looks like none of them!)
Old 25th Mar 2021, 2:19 pm   #24
jncoleman
Triode

Surprising news about this monitor. This was the Phoenix unit that came as standard issue with Nascom and early Gemini Galaxy systems, as pictured in much of Nascom's sales literature and Gemini's catalogue 4. I have two of them, both faulty, and the repair people require what has proved to be a very elusive schematic. It has even been impossible to establish the manufacturer with any certainty, as 'Phoenix' appears to have been a brand name.

With some embarrassment, I have to report the following entirely coincidental update. Sorting out a box of very old jumbled paperwork, I came across a dispatch note for a second-hand Phoenix monitor that I have no recollection whatever of having purchased. Where it is, I do not know. However, the note was accompanied by the very diagram that I've been hunting for, which I had absolutely no idea that I had in my possession. A copy is attached. Intriguingly, there is still no manufacturer's name, but I do now have a model number: 'Dis. 0_00164'.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help with this, including the suggestion that the manufacturer may have been Indesit. I wonder if anyone please recognizes the attached diagram as one of Indesit's designs. It has also been suggested that the LOPT may be at fault, and that a replacement diode may be required. Is this the upper one, to the right of the transformer? I'm wondering if the fact that it is not labeled indicates that it is encapsulated and therefore not replaceable. Otherwise, does the transformer itself look like one for which a spare could be obtained? I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

As this diagram relates to a standard piece of Nascom / Gemini kit, and seems to be the only known copy, I suppose it has some historic value. The computer electronics in these systems is very well documented indeed, with schematics for everything, so the monitor diagram is probably the last thing we need to keep these systems in their original working condition.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Phoenix Monitor P1.pdf (2.24 MB, 85 views)
File Type: pdf Phoenix Monitor P2.pdf (2.86 MB, 68 views)
Old 25th Mar 2021, 2:32 pm   #25
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Thanks for posting the circuit diagram.

The EHT Rectifier diode mentioned earlier is the one at the top right of the line output transformer on the diagram and is very likely to be encapsulated in the transformer. If it's failing short-circuit then it's possible to add an external diode in series with it (take care, you are dealing with 15kV or so)
Old 25th Mar 2021, 4:12 pm   #26
agardiner
Octode

You could test for the diode going short circuit by disconnecting the final anode of the CRT and insulating the cup well, then run the set as before. Obviously no picture, but if the fuse no longer blows then the diode is the no.1 suspect. If the fuse does still blow then I would look elsewhere.

The green one; change the electrolytics in the power supply and frame output stages.
Old 25th Jun 2021, 9:24 pm   #27
john_newcombe
Hexode

Just noticed this thread as I have a Monitor here that needs a repair. As far as I am aware the Monitor is a Prince M12-10-00. I am told that this was an Italian company as has been suggested. Of course this could just be another brand name.

Thanks for the circuit diagram, this will be of great help.
Old 26th Jun 2021, 11:45 am   #28
Maarten
Dekatron

I thin Prince is the name of the factory as well, or possibly Prandoni or Prandoni-Prince.
Closed Thread