UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2021, 4:58 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default TV identification?

Hi all

Apologies about the poor picture quality, but it's a photo of a photo in which the TV is in the background

Does anyone recognise this TV? I vaguely remember it from my nans when I was younger. The photo was taken in around 2000, but I'm fairly sure the TV would've been older than that, I also posted it on a facebook group and I got the idea of it being Sanyo/Akai, Tatung, Samsung, or Ferguson; Possibly the B51F, but I can't find any info on the B51F other than it uses the ICC7 chassis. Though searching Sanyo brought up similar looking sets, but being the late 80s/90s they all started to look pretty similar.

Out of all those Ferguson seems the most likely as I did have Ferguson in mind and I'm pretty sure my nan had Fergusons before.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
'77
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NTV.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	227286   Click image for larger version

Name:	NTV2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	227287  
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 5:02 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: TV identification?

Tricky!
I think it could be a Sanyo or possibly a Toshiba as they had those curving speaker grilles.
If it's a Ferguson it'll be an ICC7 or 9. Of course I could be wrong.
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 10:53 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Possibly, I've had a look for Toshiba but to no avail. So far Sanyo has brought up the most similar looking sets.

I'll see if I can find any more photos tomorrow that'll give a better idea. Though I don't think I'll have any here

Thanks
'77
Old 28th Sep 2021, 2:32 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Reopened by request.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 3:38 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

Thanks for reopening

I've recently found a better photo of the TV which I hope may be easier to identify with.

I've edited to bring out some other 'details' should that help too.

Looks as though the speakers are on the side rather than the front now. Somewhere someone mentioned the B51F but wasn't sure, but may be a step in the right direction?

Thanks
'77
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	242302   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	242303  
Old 28th Sep 2021, 4:51 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The control flap is a clue, and I'm fairly sure it's a Sanyo. I'm fairly sure you can rule Thomson out, but Toshiba is a remote possibility.
Old 28th Sep 2021, 6:17 pm   #7
19Seventy7
Octode

Could be, i'll keep an eye out. I saw a photo of a Toshiba that had "T E X T" written on it which looked very familiar. So will keep an eye out for both.

Reassuring that the answers not changed!

Thanks
Old 28th Sep 2021, 7:49 pm   #8
nigelr2000
Heptode

I thought Toshiba as well
They did a stereo but not Nicam one and a real nicam stereo one in that style
Old 28th Feb 2022, 11:56 pm   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

I'm still on my searches! I've not yet found anything that even comes close to how this set looks unfortunately, though I came across a photograph the other day with the control panel door open and thought it may help identify further.

If it also helps the buttons were square, not round as the photo may suggest

Ironically my nan is a stickler for keeping the manuals for things, this seems to be the one and only thing she didn't keep the manual for! I've found manuals for 70s portable sets before!

Thanks
'77
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Control panel.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	252742  
Old 1st Mar 2022, 12:59 am   #10
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Its a Ferguson In telefunken Drag or telefunken branded though the logo on the front looks smaller than the word telefunken. Using probably the TX90/TX92 or Possibly ICC7/8 Chassis judging by the Blue OSD, Here's a similar Telefunken badged set.

I cant find any Ferguson branded examples of this set but this looks exactly like it. Its definitely of Thomson origin anyway
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37104569.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	252743   Click image for larger version

Name:	07135317164.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	252744  
Old 1st Mar 2022, 1:03 am   #11
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

catalogue Image from 1991. very Likely ICC7 Chassis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	252745  
Old 1st Mar 2022, 3:21 am   #12
19Seventy7
Octode

Aha! That's brilliant! I'll have to have a look around now I have a definite starting point. I don't think it would've been branded Telefunken, as like you say, the logo looks far too small. I did wonder if it could've been branded "Thorn" but I think Thorn ended with the ICC5 chassis? I'm not sure on that as that's getting a little too new for me!

Good to know theres still examples of similar sets out there

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!
'77
Old 1st Mar 2022, 3:28 am   #13
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Seventy7 View Post
Aha! That's brilliant! I'll have to have a look around now I have a definite starting point. I don't think it would've been branded Telefunken, as like you say, the logo looks far too small. I did wonder if it could've been branded "Thorn" but I think Thorn ended with the ICC5 chassis? I'm not sure on that as that's getting a little too new for me!

Good to know theres still examples of similar sets out there

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!
'77
I've seen examples of Later Thorn sets after ICC5 so it could possibly be Thorn branded. I have some Ferguson brochures up in the attic, i'll see if i can route them out tomorrow and if theres any examples like yours in it.
It Could possibly be thomson branded also
Old 1st Mar 2022, 3:46 am   #14
19Seventy7
Octode

That'd be great if you could find the brochures and any similar examples inside. I do have a manual for a Ferguson B59F which looks similar but isn't quite it. (below)

The Thomson branding seems more likely to me than Telefunken just by the shortness of the logo on the front of my set.

Thanks
'77
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	57
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	252746   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	252747  

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 1st Mar 2022 at 3:54 am.
Old 1st Mar 2022, 3:54 am   #15
19Seventy7
Octode

I've also just had a thought, but I'm not sure if it's me imagining things because it's nearly 3AM or because I want to see it (Or both ) but I was inspecting the photos some more and I noticed the VCR on the sets stand in post #1. This VCR I know is a Thorn VR202VL and was branded Thorn.

Looking at the thorn logo up close on an example I've not long bought but I think they could match up? To me the branding on the TV looks as though it has some logo to the left, which may add up to the Thorn logo in the square? (Best seen in the edited photo in post #5)

I'm taking that with a pinch of salt but thought it may be worth bringing up?

Thanks
'77
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	83
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	252748  
Old 1st Mar 2022, 5:04 am   #16
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

That image for the B59F manual is a standard image they included on nearly all their thomson made manuals and not a dipiction of the set itself. Its not a B59F anyway, Ive seen the B59F and I have the B59F in the brochure and it looks nothing like your set unfortuantly.

I think its more likely yours was a Thorn branded set, even more so if the VCR was a Thorn branded machine. The VR202 was made by Sanyo.

Its possible the TV And VCR were sold as a package deal at the time so it would make sense to me that its a Thorn branded set though I could be wrong.

I'll find the brochures tomorrow and upload the pics, I have the sales brochures for Ferguson from the ICC5 up until the late 90's sets so if a Ferguson version of yours exists it'l be in there.

I also have a Thomson sales book too, not sure which sets are in it or which year its from but i'll look through it for a similar set and upload anything I find
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 12:42 am   #17
19Seventy7
Octode

I wasn't expecting it to be the B59F but wondered if it may have included any clues, which it didn't of course, I just wondered as, like i say, someone mentioned it could be a B51F.

That's possible as I say, my nan seemed to go with Thorn, namely Ferguson, a fair bit.

Thanks for having a look, I really appreciate that, and for your help
'77
Closed Thread