UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2020, 8:35 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Sobell TV.

I have had my eye on this set for a few years now. It belonged to my mate Mick and I saw it high up on one of his shelves when I first visited his workshop back in I think around 2006/7.
I said to him if he ever decided to sell it I would love to buy it. Recently when we were having a socially distanced coffee he mentioned a set that I had that he liked so a deal was done and I became the new proud owner!

The reason I wanted it was because I have fond memories of exactly this model from when I bought one from a local shop back when I was about 14. That set had been taken in for repair, the owner had decided not to have the set repaired and had part exchanged it. Due to a breakdown in communication between the shop and the workshop ( it was a big place to be fair) the set had been repaired. It was considered too old to sell to the public so it was offered to me as I bought clapped out ex rental sets from them most Saturdays for the princely sum of 25p!
I bought it for the cost of the parts they used to repair it about £3 if I remember rightly.

This set was older than the ex rental sets I was buying at the time but it worked well and was in good condition!
I sold the set to a local lad from school and remember he had to use it on 405 as it could be lashed up to a home made wire aerial. UHF was hopeless with a valve tuner and a set top aerial in Peterborough!
That lad became one of my customers when I opened the shop and remained until I sold the business in late 2000 . Without doubt one of my longest suffering customers!

Mick had got the set working but had not restored it considering that it works well. The overwind had died on the LOPT so Mick had fitted a tripler or doubler I am not sure... It had a Mullard tube which is good news even the valve UHF tuner works!
I intend to give it a bit of a spruce up and leave it at that.
I am pleased to have finally got a nice example of a Sobell.
All I need now is somewhere to put it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_193712.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	211351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_193722.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	211352   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_194203.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	211353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_194209.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	211354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_194702.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	211355  

Old 19th Jul 2020, 9:04 pm   #2
MickMcmichael
Pentode

Default Re: Sobell tv

Crikey, it's grown legs since it left here three hours' ago!

14 years on the shelf and it grew nowt but cobwebs!

Nice one Rich. Glad it's ok as there was a little recent squirmy wormy going on which had been treated but I forgot to mention...(oops!)

I think it's a 1000DST ? The model number was missing off the back cover.

Calling 1100 man ... is this a 1000DST ?

I may reveal my side of this great deal in due course...

Cheers!
Old 19th Jul 2020, 9:13 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcmichael View Post
I think it's a 1000DST ? The model number was missing off the back cover.

Calling 1100 man ... is this a 1000DST ?
Oh yes it certainly is!!
Great to see another example surface of (OK, I know I'm biased) one of the best looking sets of all time!!

Will be watching this thread with interest!

Cheers
Nick
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 11:17 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

it's a very pretty set