UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2021, 10:34 pm   #21
Ferguson 2000
Tetrode

Default Re: Hacker Hunter powering

Nowadays there are many different types of mains power supply (wall wart) which can be very confusing. If I remember the regulations correctly then a power supply for consumer electronic equipment cannot use a mains transformer of the old fashioned step down type, often referred to as a linear supply, but must be of a switch mode type. Going to the site you gave and putting in Hacker Hunter brought up "Top Quality AC-DC Switching Adapter Power Supply". Those words are missing when the link is clicked on to show the adapter full page.

If it is a switched mode adapter then that is where your EMI is probably coming from or the adapter is faulty. If you move the adapter nearer to the aerial of the radio does the EMI increase? If so the the problem is radiated interference if not then it is going down the DC power lead.

Do you have access to a bench type variable power supply, not switch mode, to test out this suggestion?

It is unfortunate that words such as linear and regulated are used in sales and advertising by people who do not understand their meaning. Some years ago I had a discussion with the technical department of a large and very well known spare part company about their "regulated" power supplies, it transpired that they were only "regulated" when the stated current was drawn, if only half the current was drawn then the output voltage went from 12 to 15 volts, this they said was normal for a regulated supply! I stress that that was their Technical Department.

Hacker are very good radio sets and the 7818 referred to is a voltage regulator which would need a couple of capacitors and a supply of more than 21 volts.

Geoffrey.
Old 5th Aug 2021, 10:49 pm   #22
Ferguson 2000
Tetrode

This would have to be built up and fitted into a plastic box with lots of safety precautions but ticks all the boxes such as:

Linear, stabilized, regulated and short circuit proof but should have a fuse between it and the Hacker.

https://www.esr.co.uk/products/frame_power-supplies.htm

I have bought a number of products from them and have had good service.

Geoffrey.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 7:37 am   #23
cathoderay57
Nonode

You could build a clone of the original VP408 Hacker supply. Here's a link to the schematic https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...8&postcount=11 . My Hunter is powered from an original untouched VP408 in my kitchen and works faultlessly. Jerry
Old 6th Aug 2021, 8:09 am   #24
lightning
Heptode

l've got a Hacker Herald and l've fitted two AA battery holders which hold six batteries each.

Okay so that's 12 AA batteries to replace every so often, but the supermarket brand Alkaline AA batteries are about £5.99 for a pack of 24 and they seem
to last as long as the zinc carbon PP9's which are around £5 each.
So l am effectively getting the equivalent of 4 PP9's for £5.99

Also it's not modifying the radio apart from l had to change the battery connectors, it could easily be put back to taking the PP9's
Old 6th Aug 2021, 11:24 am   #25
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you empty out a couple of dead PP9s, a wire ended 6AA battery holder fits inside with room for plenty of cardboard packing to stop it rattling around. Connect the wires to the appropriate PP9 connector clips. A stout elastic band will hold the top on nicely. No need to mod the set at all

Plastic cased PP9s are easier to use but any sort will do.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Aug 2021, 12:40 pm   #26
Nobilmente
Triode

All of this information is wonderful.

When I asked if the power was linear, I was assured that it was, even though the word switching appeared elsewhere when the same PSU was advertised elsewhere. Now I'm beginniing to understand what is going on.

When it arrived it felt heavy, which I took to be the transformer, and from this thought that it was linear. I'll read all of these suggestions over until I've absorbed the information. I'll get to the bottom of this and be more knowledeable for it!

Thanks so much for all this information everyone, there are a number of suggstion there to follow.

Thanks Chris for the information about the 6AA battery holder, I'll follow that up when the two batteries run down, that are installed at present.

With thanks, Geoff

Last edited by Nobilmente; 6th Aug 2021 at 12:56 pm.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 12:42 pm   #27
Nobilmente
Triode

Ah! Ferguson, when you wrote best wishes Geoffrey, at the end of your posts, I thought they were directed at me. We are both fortunate in having the same name!!
Best wishes, Geoff
Old 6th Aug 2021, 12:53 pm   #28
Nobilmente
Triode

This is the information for the AC/DC adapter I got.

Top Quality AC-DC Transformer Adaptor Power Supply.

The Technical Specifications are as follows -

Input : 240v 50Hz 140mA

Output: DC 18V - 300mA 5.4VA

CE Certified
Old 6th Aug 2021, 2:59 pm   #29
lightning
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente View Post
I've just read your C.V., and can see how all of this makes sense to you!

Now, for the lad at the back of the class making musical arrangements while the maths lesson is in progress (courtesy the maths teacher), once more from the top please!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
If you empty out a couple of dead PP9s, a wire ended 6AA battery holder fits inside with room for plenty of cardboard packing to stop it rattling around. Connect the wires to the appropriate PP9 connector clips. A stout elastic band will hold the top on nicely. No need to mod the set at all

Plastic cased PP9s are easier to use but any sort will do.
Great idea!
Old 6th Aug 2021, 5:17 pm   #30

Quote:
If I remember the regulations correctly then a power supply for consumer electronic equipment cannot use a mains transformer of the old fashioned step down type, often referred to as a linear supply, but must be of a switch mode type.
Not quite, the regulations are about standby power consumption and efficiency, they don't care how you do it. Switched mode seems to be the only way at then moment that is economical.

I use a couple of 6AA cell holders in old PP9 cases for my Hacker, inside there are the "new" nimh cells, I recharge them when they go flat.

Closed Thread