UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2020, 4:28 am   #1
Oldmadham
Pentode

Default "Microscrub"?

Back in the "dear, dead days beyond recall", the Australian PMG's Dept (later Telecom Aust) used to stock, in its Stores Branch, prodigious quantities of what we all called "Microscrub".

It was evidently intended for cleaning contacts on relay sets in Exchanges, but it was marvellous for cleaning "gunk" off all & everything.

In my part of PMG/TA it was regularly used for switch contacts, PCB edge connectors, Jones plugs, etc, & sometimes just for cosmetic purposes to remove general crud build up on metallic surfaces.

It was, grey, made of some sort of plastic,came in strips about 1/4" wide by 8" long.
In appearance, the "business side" of the strips was a little like the "hooky" side of Velcro.

We used it happily for years, just re-ordering as required, until ultimately I left that employer & moved to the Private Sector.
The new job had one piece, which they had apparently "borrowed" from the PMG years before, & which was guarded like the Holy Grail.

They had obviously, tried to obtain more, but nobody outside PMG/TA had heard of it.
Eventually, they gave up, as did I, after trying, to no avail, to find out the source from my previous employer.

After many years, along came the Internet, so for fun, I tried Googling for "Microscrub".
The product of that name which came up was nothing like what I was looking for, which cast some doubt on whether the name we used for years was actually the correct one.
Nor could I find it under any other description.

I can only surmise that with the demise of "step by step" exchanges, the manufacturers assumed it would be unsaleable, & stopped making it.

Considering how effective it was, I'm hoping for my own sanity that someone who worked in a similar area in the UK, (or further afield) may know of this stuff.
Old 10th Dec 2020, 11:52 am   #2
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: "Microscrub"?

Sounds like the abrasive side of the wife's pan scrubbers, i filtch them for various cleaning purposes.
Old 10th Dec 2020, 12:03 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Mentioned and pictured here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-...-cpc-wifi/875/

And here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/...-strip.138949/
Old 10th Dec 2020, 3:12 pm   #4
davidw
Heptode

I liberated this from my van when I moved from tools to management in BT back in the 90s
The bag label has long since disappeared but I seem to recall "strips contact cleaning" was its BT title.
By strange coincidence I was using it only yesterday cleaning pcb edge connectors in my juke box!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201210_125251[1].jpg
Views:	166
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	222255  

Last edited by davidw; 10th Dec 2020 at 3:14 pm. Reason: addition
Old 10th Dec 2020, 8:57 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Probably not the same, but I got some strips of "sand paper" from the dentist.
Closed Thread