UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2020, 1:49 pm   #1
ValvoStef
Hexode

Default Rotary switch and 7 segment

This is bugging me. I want a 7 segment display indicating the position of a rotary switch. So on switch position 1 the display should read 1, on position 2 two the display should read 2 and so on. What decoder is required? This is just an afternoon’s play on my bread board, no real purpose. Is there such a decoder IC?

Last edited by AC/HL; 22nd May 2020 at 5:42 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd May 2020, 3:28 pm   #2

Default Re: Rotary switch and 7 segment

I have used a bunch of diodes to do this in the past, assuming you have a spare gang on the switch all you do is have segments (via a resistor each) for each required segment for each digit. Mine was for a Suzuki motorcycle gear indicator which was a 6 way single pole switch, six speed box with neutral a separate lamp in the speedo. ICs, you want a decimal to BCD encoder 74147 and then a bcd to 7 segment decoder 7447. Diodes would be more fun as you can decide on the numerals look and it would work on any available voltage.

Old 22nd May 2020, 3:57 pm   #3
ValvoStef
Hexode

Default Re: Rotary switch and 7 segment

Yes, right, two ICs. Thanks, merlinmaxwell.