UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2020, 5:59 pm   #1
greg_simons
Octode

Default Tool box blue metal hammer paint

Just got a nice little labgear colourbar generator and thought it would be nice to refinish the cabinet, the original paint finish is in the title and was popular for donkey's years, but, do you think i can find any anywhere, where's it all gone?, why can't i find any, does anyone know to a source, all i need is a 400ml spray tin!.
Greg.
Old 23rd May 2020, 6:45 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: tool box blue metal hammer paint

I'm sure you've been round this loop but Hammerite with a hammered, rather than smooth, finish looks like a possible option. Trouble is the 400ml spray doesn't come in blue. Blue only appears to be available as a brush on paint. Will be interested to see what you manage to find as I have a similar piece of kit that could do with a fresh coat of paint.

Alan
Old 23rd May 2020, 6:52 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

I got a can of blue hammer finish spray from Lidl a short while ago. It’ll be available again some time, just keep an eye out for it. 400ml cost £2.99 I think. Used it to respray a jukebox chassis. Think it’s a bit brighter/darker, more like Royal blue. Got an excellent finish.
Old 23rd May 2020, 6:54 pm   #4

Hammerite brush paint works a treat, you just slap it on (as per instructions, no fancy "brushing out") and wait. The thinners are as expensive as the paint, buy some cheap brushes. A classic finish for test gear.

Old 24th May 2020, 12:37 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: tool box blue metal hammer paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
The thinners [for Hammerite paint] are as expensive as is the paint.
Hammerite: for thinning and brush cleaning, use acetone. A lot cheaper than the proprietary stuff & just as effective.

Al.
Old 24th May 2020, 4:55 pm   #6
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Tool box blue metal hammer paint

Unbelievably hard to track down, it's as though the whole internet says no, especially blue, after a LOT of fruitless searches amazon uk have some plasticote outdoor hammered finish blue, not cheap at £15, still trying to justify the cost but it's a solution.
Greg.
Old 24th May 2020, 5:41 pm   #7
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I got a can of blue hammer finish spray from Lidl a short while ago. It’ll be available again some time, just keep an eye out for it. 400ml cost £2.99 I think. Used it to respray a jukebox chassis. Think it’s a bit brighter/darker, more like Royal blue. Got an excellent finish.
Now if it was £2.99 that is cheap , clear the shelf. Mick.

Petrol is also a good thinners !
Old 24th May 2020, 6:07 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Blue Brush-on Hammerite (not smooth) appears to be available in 750 ml tins on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5.../dp/B0051HF2N2

Odd how times change. Not so long ago blue and silver seemed to be by far the most popular colours
Old 24th May 2020, 8:31 pm   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

Here's a picture of the Amplifier chassis that I recently completed with a full rebuild. The chassis was very rusty and that is now part of the finish. The transformers were originals from 1956 ish and survived despite the serious corrosion on the rest of it. All other components were replaced and pleased to say it worked as soon as switched on. It had been 'painted' with metallic silver including the valve bases and everything else coated very thickly. Also shown is a part of the underside of the rusty chassis.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7122s.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	206684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6629s.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	206685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6623.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	206686
Old 24th May 2020, 11:29 pm   #10
vinrads
Dekatron

Very nice indeed I wonder if it was a jukebox amp .Mick.
Old 25th May 2020, 8:31 am   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Very nice indeed I wonder if it was a jukebox amp .Mick.
Yes it is a Jukebox amp. Customer hasn't fitted it yet as he's put it on a shelf to look at and admire. He's got several Jukes to play anyway so no panic to refit.
Old 25th May 2020, 9:33 am   #12
Petedox
Pentode

Greg, I have always used a local paint factor for my work. Take them a sample and they can match it while you wait.

The last match I had cost £10.99 for a 400ml spray can. They can generally make a small touch up tin aswell for a few quid. So only a bit more expensive than a rattle can from Halfords.

The beauty of the using a paint factor is that it is 'professional' paint made for the trade, it covers well and cures quickly. Also, the can they supply has a much better aerosol spray pattern.
Old 25th May 2020, 6:22 pm   #13
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petedox View Post
Greg, I have always used a local paint factor for my work. Take them a sample and they can match it while you wait.

The last match I had cost £10.99 for a 400ml spray can. They can generally make a small touch up tin aswell for a few quid. So only a bit more expensive than a rattle can from Halfords.

The beauty of the using a paint factor is that it is 'professional' paint made for the trade, it covers well and cures quickly. Also, the can they supply has a much better aerosol spray pattern.
Hi pete
That's a great idea which i will look into, see if there's a local paint factor about, will get back to this thread when I've more information, meantime many thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Greg.
Old 25th May 2020, 6:29 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'd agree with chatting-up your local commercial/automotove paint-factors - they will - for a price - brew you a few rattle-cans of paint to match your originals.
Old 25th May 2020, 7:44 pm   #15
poppydog
Banned

If your going to look for an auto- factor to see if they can supply you with paint I would also consider seeing what your local agricultural/marine suppliers have in stock. The agricultural paints will have far more "guts" (body)than anything your auto -paint supplier can supply and there is now a surprising array of colours to choose from.

When I moved house about 20 yrs ago I had loads of tins of the blue and grey Hammerite in my workshop, I think there were even some green ones and tins of white Tekaloid that were all from the 60/70s and in very rusty tins. I had a massive bonfire and put the lot on it. I regretted doing that years later especially getting rid of the Tekaloid.

poppydog
Closed Thread