UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2021, 7:46 pm   #1
Karen Smyth
Diode

Default Old projector - belt replacement - advice needed please

Old projector- belt has disintegrated so have bought replacement belt but can't work out how to fit it - - there is a shaft running through and need to know which part to release to get the belt on - are there any knowledgeable projector fans out there who may be able to assist please? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211025_161428.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	244222   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211025_161232.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	244223   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211025_161329.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	244224   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211025_161221.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	244225  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:53 am   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Old projector - belt replacement - advice needed please

What is hiding under the plastic to the left of the transformer? Can you take another photo with the plastic lifted up?
Old 30th Oct 2021, 2:53 pm   #3
Karen Smyth
Diode

Thanks, I've attached a couple of photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211030-WA0002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	244613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211030-WA0001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	244614  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 3:43 pm   #4
wd40addict
Octode

Ok, looks like a bearing on a bracket so not so easy. Clearly some dismantling will be required to get the belt in, but since I'm unfamiliar with this model I can't give any specific instructions.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 4:34 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've repaired a few cine projectors and often fitting a new drive belt is not trivial. I recently did a Bolex Multimatic, and the main drive belt is one of the first things to go in the chassis, before the gate and the very complex loading mechanism.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 6:10 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

I don't know if you'd get away with it - but this type of belt:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292347783...oAAOSwF71hEj2e

- which comes in all different cross-sectional diameters, is very elastic and forms very stong joints by cutting a length, and sliding the two ends off two sides of a red hot knife, immediately pushed into each other and carefully held until it sets - a few seconds. Then you carefully trim off the excess. So for this kind of job, you could form the belt on the machine, on the bare shafts and not the pulleys to give you some length to play with - which might save a whole load of dismantling hassle.

Not a clear explanation, and not an easy thing to do in close proximity to the machine, but I hope you get the idea!
Old 30th Oct 2021, 6:49 pm   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

It looks like there’s a clutch in the drive and it may have some clearance when moved so there might be enough clearance to get the belt through. I have to admit that most projectors I’ve done did involve some dismantling.
Old 7th Nov 2021, 7:27 pm   #8
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

As above, no specific familiarity with this mech.

If the housing / bracket of the rear mainshaft bearing can be unscrewed from the chassis, then it looks like there is room to work the belt past the other obstructions. Check whether the front bearing is spherical (self-aligning) because if so, it is sometimes possible to swing the shaft slightly away from the chassis without having to remove anything else. Obviously take great care not to bend / force any components of the intermittent. There will probably be an optimum position to which it should be rotated to give maximum freedom.

If it hasn't run for a long / unknown time, do make sure all the lubrication is attended to before putting into service.
Closed Thread