UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 17th Sep 2023, 12:25 pm   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default Can anyone identify these connectors please

I need to identify these connectors (J10 and J350 on the first photo), so I can make some extension cables to allow access for fault investigation. They are from a Bose Companion 5 multimedia speaker system.

The pins are 1mm square and the contact pitch is 4mm. Does anyone recognise the connector type so that I can order some, or possibly have a few spare contact pins and sockets please.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pin-connectors-crop_web.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	285110   Click image for larger version

Name:	socket-connectors-crop_web.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	285111  

Last edited by ronbryan; 17th Sep 2023 at 12:31 pm. Reason: Added J10 and J350 to description
ronbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2023, 1:48 pm   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Can anyone identify these connectors please

The thing to remember is the headers come separately from the pins, which need crimping on. The pitch is 0.2" and they are readily available
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crimp Conn.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	285114  

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2023, 1:50 pm   #3
lesmw0sec
Octode

True, but for test purposes you can buy headers with tags on - by the bucket load sourced from China of course...
lesmw0sec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2023, 3:17 pm   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

Ron

I have some RS 178-9546 which is friction lock, not latch but should be O.K. for test purposes, they are IDC which means no crimping, Ihave 5 way versions as well which could be cut down for the 2 way connector.

Alternatively I have Farnell 143-161 which is crimp pin, I could crimp some pins on lengths of wire if you wanted.

I don`t have any of the pin headers but they are readily available, also off old duff boards.

Barry
barrymagrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2023, 4:31 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

I'm wondering if the connectors in my photos (post #1) are JST VH style, which are 3.96mm pitch, almost the 4mm I measured. I've ordered some two pin ones for trial.

Ron
Old 17th Sep 2023, 4:50 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

Thanks for looking and for the offer of help Barry. Without having noticed your post above, I've steamed off and ordered some housings and socket contacts, which should arrive later this week. I may get back to you about your offer of crimping some wires on to the contacts if it proves difficult to insert them after soldering.

Ron
Old 1st Mar 2024, 6:38 am   #7
RadioRich
Diode

Hello Ron.

Are you looking for the ones with the brown, blue, green, yellow wires right? Molex is most likely the brand, check Mouser Electronics they have huge inventory.

Sincerely Richard
RadioRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2024, 9:57 am   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
I'm wondering if the connectors in my photos (post #1) are JST VH style
I'd say so
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 11:47 am   #9
ronbryan
Octode

Thanks for the recently posted interest Richard and Kevin.

I ordered some 2 and 4 way JST VH connectors and crimp socket contacts from ebay supplier komodo-electronics in Brighton last September and made up a 4 way extension cable for the speakers and a 2 way lead to connect 19V AC input from an external transformer (soldered crimps will go into the housing ok). This allowed the electronics (a circuit board bolted to a large heatsink) to be separated from the cabinet containing the Bose mains transformer and speakers. The fault was a rasping buzz from the speakers. The only analogue bit was the psu and power amp, all the rest was surface mount digital signal processing and DACs. I tested and resoldered some psu smoothers whilst examining the pcb, connected my test leads detailed above and measured psu voltages, only to find that the buzz had gone away. Most unsatisfactory, especially as I had spent ages poring over the multi-page circuit diagrams. I put the electronics back in the box, returned it to the owner and it has been working ok for five months.

The attached photo shows the speaker and low voltage AC extension leads (red/black at top centre of pcb) on the opened sound system).

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opened-amp_web.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	294036  

Last edited by ronbryan; 2nd Mar 2024 at 12:01 pm. Reason: added photo of amp plus extension leads
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 1:25 pm   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

if it's worked for 5 months then I think you fixed it!