UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2022, 12:22 pm   #1
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Minor issues with site navigation

I have noticed a couple of minor issues when navigating the site recently.
1 When I select an attached image to look at it previously had navigation buttons at the bottom to allow me to navigate to the next image etc. This seems to be missing now.
2 When clearing old messages from my inbox or sent items I used to be able to select all the messages on the page with a single box tick and then delete them, now I can tick the box for all messages on the page but it does not select any messages. I now have to select each message individually.
Is this an issue with the site or my browser?

Peter
Old 18th Dec 2022, 12:28 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Minor issues with site navigation

Nothing about the forum has changed recently. Can you try another browser?
Old 18th Dec 2022, 12:30 pm   #3
Station X

If there was a problem with the website lots of members would have told us about it, but they haven't.

I tried out the scenarios you described and they worked fine using Microsoft Edge.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Dec 2022, 1:16 pm   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks, I am using Firefox, I will try another browser.

Peter
Old 18th Dec 2022, 1:26 pm   #5
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I have just checked and its OK in Chrome, seems its just Firefox. Always uused to be OK but there has been a recent "Update".
I will have to investigate further, I really don't want to have to use Chrome.

Peter
Old 18th Dec 2022, 1:40 pm   #6
Stockden
Heptode

I'm using Firefox and, even after updating to the latest version, I'm not experiencing either of the issues that Peter reports.

Hugh

Last edited by Stockden; 18th Dec 2022 at 1:44 pm. Reason: Updated after Firefox update
Old 18th Dec 2022, 1:59 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

No issues here with Waterfox Classic, which I sometimes have to depart from on a few other websites.

Paul
Old 18th Dec 2022, 3:16 pm   #8
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Just checked using Firefox on another computer and its fine, must be the settings and /or add ons on the other one.

Peter
Old 18th Dec 2022, 3:22 pm   #9
Dickie
Octode

I had the same issue with images a few weeks back with Firefox, Everything came back to normal after clearing cookies and starting again.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 19th Dec 2022, 2:08 pm   #10
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
I had the same issue with images a few weeks back with Firefox, Everything came back to normal after clearing cookies and starting again.
Thanks, after trying various things to no effect I tried deleting the cookies for the Vintage Radio site, this logged me out of course. When I logged back in all was OK again.

Peter
Old 19th Dec 2022, 7:54 pm   #11
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.

Had the same problem using Firefox ESR, like Peter and Dickie clearing cookies and cache restored normalcy, but am getting fed up with FF's idiosyncrasies, so...
In my case, I'm considering a change to Vivaldi ( https://vivaldi.com/ )

It was helpful to see this thread, as that confirmed what helps get things right-side up again.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 11:55 am   #12
mhennessy
Dekatron

I had some of this happen this morning. I noticed that images opened in a new tab rather than in the Javascript image viewer.

Simply did a Ctrl+F5, and the problem was instantly solved. No need to delete cookies or empty the cache.

Note that this is different to pressing F5 on its own - that will simply re-request the HTML, but will re-use any other elements that are already in the cache. Holding down Ctrl while pressing F5 tells the browser to re-fetch everything the page needs.

I'm using Firefox, but I've seen this exact thing in every other mainstream browser - and in each case, Ctrl+F5 was the fix. Content held in local caches can go stale for whatever reason. In my experience, Firefox is no worse than any other browser for this - it's just that - fairly obviously - you'll likely only notice it on Firefox if that's your main browser.

You can play about with the browser settings to alter the behaviour of your cache, but these days I just leave everything on the default settings... There's dozens of browser.cache settings on the Firefox about:config screen - there's a lot of complexity beneath the surface of a modern web browser, so it's understandable that it needs a bit of a "prod" now and again.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 12:30 pm   #13
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.

Thanks for your tip Mark, I will therefore add I tried command+R (page reload) which only partially worked
- but didn't think to try command+shift+R which does a full page reload ignoring cached items (Mac equivalent of Windows ctrl+F5 it seems)

My main reason for changing from Firefox though is due to the sheer excessive memory it now uses when a lot of pages are open
- on my 16GB laptop by the end of a day of browsing it's often using 8-10GB of swap, which makes changing apps (eg to and from Finder and Firefox) very slow. Just as an aside.

If I don't use Firefox but, say Vivaldi, it never needs any swap (so far, anyway) for the same sites/pages typically.
Hope this isn't too far from topic - it does directly affect use of this site which is why I mention it, as the JS issues seem to coincide with large FF memory footprints, here at least.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 1:38 pm   #14
mhennessy
Dekatron

That's interesting. I'm the first to admit that I've no experience of Macs this side of System 7, but it's a shame to hear the FF is a memory hog in that environment. None of my PCs have more than 8GB RAM, and one of them only has 4GB (not recommended!). FF is usually the largest single consumer of RAM (just over 1.1GB on this machine currently, but I've seen it hover around 2-3GB after a few days of use). I do tend to have far too many tabs on the go!

I haven't tried Vivaldi for many years, but see it's had plenty of changes since then - I'll check it out properly over Christmas. I do a little web design - all very basic stuff - and like to have a range of different browsers to check the pages render as intended.
Closed Thread