UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2022, 11:04 pm   #1
Timbucus
Octode

Default MK14 Adventure at Crash Live Walsall 2022.

I thought I was being clever sneaking my Version VI into the show as I was running the Adventure Trail stand playing what I think is probably the earliest Adventure type game you can play on a Sinclair machine; MAZE from Computing Today May 1979 (page 39) and Instructions in the Complement and Add magazine (as it was written by Geoff Phillips who ran the user group) - lots of people were intrigued and managed to find the bug that crashes it or get eaten by the Lion...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	268907

But then I spotted that the RCM from Leicester https://retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/ had brought one along I don't think we have seen elsewhere. There were a lot of ZX81 and some ZX80 there obviously as well - I also took my Sinclair Programmable but, the battery went dead on me before I could run Moon Landing as a precursor turn based game,

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3525.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	268908

Quite a few people stopped and talked to me including some with replicas in various stages of construction so I mentioned our little corner of SC/MP heaven... maybe a few new arrivals coming.

Edit - blast the speeling error in the thread title - sorry...
Old 27th Nov 2022, 11:14 pm   #2
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: MK14 Adevnture at Crash Live Walsall 2022

Unfortunately this is the first I'd heard of this event (I haven't got round to reading my RetroGamer subscription magazines for a while, if it was mentioned in there), otherwise I might well have gone to it as I did go to a (Aldridge) Radio Rally in that area years ago before it ceased.

So thanks for posting some pictures / details of what was there.
Old 27th Nov 2022, 11:51 pm   #3
_Ujibay
Diode

Hi Timbucus,
I was one of the people who had a short chat with you on Saturday.
I dug my MK14 out today and tried to get it working, found a 74LS04 doing odd stuff (1V logic log, 4V logic high with 5V and 0V reading correctly on the chip legs, so binned off the "age appropriate" chip in it and stuck a new..ish one in.

Still not playing, so Ill investigate further another day.

Anyhow, nice to meet you and I loved your stand.
Old 28th Nov 2022, 11:27 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Hi _Ujibay - welcome to the forum.

If you can't make any headway with your machine start a new 'MK14 not working' thread and we'll try to help you to get it going. There are quite a few owners of MK14 originals or replicas (or both) here, so we can make voltage measurements and scope measurements from our working machines for you to compare with.
Old 28th Nov 2022, 1:41 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: MK14 Adventure at Crash Live Walsall 2022.

Quote:
I spotted that the RCM from Leicester ... had brought one along I don't think we have seen elsewhere.
No, that's interesting. I wonder if the replacement keypad on that machine was a third party product or just a well made one-off?

The ones with non-original keypads are in some ways more interesting (albeit less valuable) than those which do still have them, as there were almost no two afterbuild keypads which were alike, they are all highly individual.

I did spot a PCB for an external keypad during my recent trawl through Computing Today issues from 1980, so maybe there will be one or two survivors around with identical Computing Today keypads.
Old 28th Nov 2022, 2:21 pm   #6
_Ujibay
Diode

Thumbs up Re: MK14 Adevnture at Crash Live Walsall 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
If you can't make any headway with your machine start a new 'MK14 not working' thread and we'll try to help you to get it going. There are quite a few owners of MK14 originals or replicas (or both) here, so we can make voltage measurements and scope measurements from our working machines for you to compare with.
Hi! Thanks

I kinda dont want to be out smarted by a computer thats got a handful of dip chips on it, so Im going to try to fix it a bit more myself first before asking for help.

In the mean time Ill stick a post in Introductions to say Hi and keep an eye out for posts I can contribute to.
Old 28th Nov 2022, 2:52 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Oh, believe me, you would be the one fixing it, even if we made a few suggestions over your shoulder.

Good luck, and we hope to see a picture or two of it working shortly.
Old 1st Dec 2022, 6:22 pm   #8
Timbucus
Octode

Thanks for joining up and talking at the show Ujibay! Good luck on the repair...
Old 1st Dec 2022, 6:59 pm   #9
Buzby123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ujibay View Post
I kinda dont want to be out smarted by a computer thats got a handful of dip chips on it, ...
Don't be surprised if you need some help from those who've been there allready.

There might only be a handful of chips, but on my MK14 resurrection about the only one still working was the 8060 !.
Old 1st Dec 2022, 7:56 pm   #10
Timbucus
Octode

If anyone want's to see a brief glimpse of Maze running at the show the massive Sinclair museum in Portugal came along and had a chat with me and put the video up the MK14 is towards the end.

Their channel has some other interviews and recordings of many of the panel talks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0hDM8xVAx0
Old 4th Dec 2022, 1:30 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I see _Ujibay appears to have got his machine working, assuming this is the same one as he referred to earlier.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...73&postcount=1
Closed Thread