UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2022, 1:46 pm   #1
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default BNC protector caps

If anyone wants protectors for BNC sockets that don't warrant shorting plugs, I have found the flexible 3/8" 'thread protectors' fit them perfectly.

Metric 9mm or 10mm just don't seem to fit as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3:8 end caps.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	268196  
Old 16th Nov 2022, 6:16 pm   #2
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: BNC protector caps

Brilliant idea, source of supply?

David
Old 16th Nov 2022, 6:25 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

The metal ones do act against RF ingress/egress, but sometimes you only need to keep literal dirt out.

David
Old 16th Nov 2022, 6:33 pm   #4
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
Brilliant idea, source of supply?

David
Ended up using eBay - 100 for a tenner. In fact I may well put some up on Offered as I certainly don't need this many!

Search: Imperial PVC End Cap Bolt Tube Bar Cable Plastic Thread Protector Vinyl Dust Cap
Old 16th Nov 2022, 6:35 pm   #5
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The metal ones do act against RF ingress/egress, but sometimes you only need to keep literal dirt out.

David
Agreed David, but use the metal ones only where I want shorting caps _ I remember a friend trying to track down a 'fault' only to find he'd put a shorting cap on an output by accident.

Also I've a couple of HP 355C/D stepped attenuators - very lovely ex-MoD - electrically perfect but a bit tatty and the BNCs are a bit easy to knock.

Last edited by 6SN7WGTB; 16th Nov 2022 at 6:44 pm.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 7:23 pm   #6
factory
Octode

Alternately Caplugs EP-8 also fit, I added 100 of the ESD version to my last Mouser order. The standard yellow ones are £5.90+VAT for 100, ESD version SEP-08 a bit more, conductive version CEP-08 probably even more.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9525a.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	268249  
Old 18th Nov 2022, 8:15 am   #7
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.

Good to raise this topic Richard, thanks for sharing the details of your approach, which has me tempted until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
Alternately Caplugs EP-8 also fit, I added 100 of the ESD version to my last Mouser order. The standard yellow ones are £5.90+VAT for 100, ESD version SEP-08 a bit more, conductive version CEP-08 probably even more.

David
Thank you David, these I like the look of especially with the ESD -or not- choice.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 8:54 am   #8
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Yes quite! Annoying as I have just yesterday placed one of my regular Mouse orders.

I had tried what I thought was every search under the Sun on Mouser and RS but didn't find what I wanted!
Old 18th Nov 2022, 3:59 pm   #9
factory
Octode

It was someone on the eevblog forum that told me the part number of the standard yellow one (EP-8), they had bought them from a US seller on ebay (oddly no resellers in the UK??), I found the others on Mouser. There are made in many other sizes & shapes for protecting all kinds of things.

David
Closed Thread