UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2022, 7:22 pm   #1
majex45
Hexode

Default Supercap replacement

My tuner forgot the settings every time it was switched off.
This was a dead supercap.
I replaced it with a lithium button battery, making a "clip" to hold it.
It would not stand being transported but while it is in the rack all seems OK.
Two years on and it is still working.
Old 10th Nov 2022, 8:03 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Supercap replacement

The usual design is both a supercap and a back up battery.

I bought a Sony ICF 2001D recently, a great radio, but has a terrible manufacturing fault where it comes up with an error message if it loses the main supply battery connections for even the briefest of periods.
The connections from batteries to PCB need re-soldering and made thicker with a generous amount of solder and also roughened up to to make better contact than originally designed.
I decided to modify it and fit a supercap alongside the AA "computer" batteries, a 0.68 Farad did the job well, no more memory loss.

Life is one big modification
Old 12th Nov 2022, 6:44 pm   #3
majex45
Hexode

Most items use CR2023 cells which leaves several 2016 and 2025 cells "going spare" if you buy the variety packs from Poundland etc.
Old 14th Nov 2022, 3:06 pm   #4
Mooly
Octode

Swapping a supercap for a battery is fine but be sure to remove any charge path if the replacement is non rechargeable.

I fitted a lithium coin cell in place of the single 1.2v nicad on a Philips 14"FST. No issues with using 3v vs 1.2v and that was probably 15/20yrs ago now and it's still working correctly.
Closed Thread