UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2022, 6:18 pm   #1
alfatangowhisky
Pentode

Default Stripping glossy style lacquer (2k / poly?) - success !!

Hello all

During the restoration of a Kolster Brandes KV002 (VC2 chassis based) dual standard TV set, I decided to tidy up the cabinet (scratches / dents / missing veneer) and set about trying various chemical stripping agents for the thick high-gloss lacquer.

This stuff appears to be some kind of 2-pack polyester as the smell when sanded reminds me of the time when as a student I made an art installation from 60s fibreglass shop-floor mannequins and when sawed up they gave this same distinctive smell. Having read that this coating is pretty much impossible to remove with standard (i.e. commercially available) chemicals such as acetone, thinners (toluene/xylene), etc etc I was resigned to either doing an over-coat job (as I had done on another KB set) or lots of sanding.

However, when I was at Toolstation for unrelated supplies I thought I would check out what sort of paint strippers they offered and was recommended 'Paint Panther' by the sales assistant. It was quite expensive but he said it was highly recommended and 'takes off almost anything'. We checked the tin for any mention of polyester and it was not listed but on his word I paid the money and took it home.

This is a gel-like formulation similar to many and had a PVC solvent type odour (that will be the MEK then). I applied a good slathering to the top of the woodwork (having isolated just the shell, of course) and left it overnight.

The next day I had a pleasant surprise, and as you can see the polyester has bubbled up and turned into 'platelets' which were easily skimmed off using a scraper, leaving the bare wood underneath.

So, not so rinky-dink Paint Panther comes up trumps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221006_192251534.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	266247   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221014_135412748.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	266248  
Old 16th Oct 2022, 6:23 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Stripping glossy style lacquer (2k / poly?) - success !!

That's useful to know given that most paint strippers have been dumbed down in recent years for safety reasons. Which begs the question, how does Paint Panther work so well if it doesn't contain all those (very useful) dangerous chemicals?
Old 16th Oct 2022, 6:26 pm   #3
Kentode
Octode

At last! That's exactly what original Nitromors used to do, then the formula was made safer, ie not as good.

Think I'll get some before it gets "improved". Thanks.

BVWS member
Old 16th Oct 2022, 6:29 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That is good to hear about,, I have a steel case from a 1960s radio that needs stripping and I have been worrying about what will do the job now that the classic strippers' chemistry is no longer available to normal people.
Old 16th Oct 2022, 6:49 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Google finds the SDS; it's actually not got much MEK in it (5-10%). It's got something called 2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol in it, for which the exposure limits are definitely on the low side, so plenty of fresh air advisable.

B
Old 16th Oct 2022, 8:11 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

Using a scraper would be the chemical and sticky mess free alternative. Scrapers are remarkably easy to use on flat surface like a TV cabinet and do not damage wood/veneer.
Old 16th Oct 2022, 9:24 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I find that the Wickes' paint and varnish remover (another gloopy paste) seems to work on many coatings; not very fast, but seems to be a very safe product.

B
Old 17th Oct 2022, 8:49 am   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Using a scraper would be the chemical and sticky mess free alternative. Scrapers are remarkably easy to use on flat surface like a TV cabinet and do not damage wood/veneer.
Doesn't work well on all finishes, I've been there! Also, a Skarsten scraper can damage the wood if not used properly, there is a bit of a knack to it.
Old 17th Oct 2022, 9:14 am   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Skarsten scrapers shouldn’t go anywhere near a radio cabinet - they’re for stripping paint.

The only scrapers that are safe to use are cabinet scrapers. EG:

https://www.axminstertools.com/verit...8&glCountry=GB

Cheaper ones are available singly from other sources.

Lots of YouTube videos on the correct use of scrapers in cabinet-making and how to keep them sharp.
Old 22nd Oct 2022, 6:19 pm   #10
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
What about using them on a bowed surface? I have a McMichael 365 which needs to be refinished. I did the lid a couple of years ago using chemicals which worked but were very messy. I have never done the main body as the thought of the mess puts me off. Would a scraper be safe on this?

I remember the woodwork teacher at school showing us how to use a scraper but that was 50 years ago!
Old 27th Oct 2022, 7:24 am   #11
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

That’s a good result !!