UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2023, 6:43 pm   #1
Magical
Triode

Default Becker Mexico Radio Cassette Vollstereo 485 Amp Plug

Hello all,

The Becker Mexico Radio Cassette Vollstereo 485 comes with a separate amp, connected via a lead with an 8 pin male plug pushing into an 8 pin female socket. I'm looking to drive a modern amp, (with Blutooth), from this cable instead of the existing amp.

I thought this plug/socket combo was an 8 pin DIN standard so I bought an unwired 8 pin DIN MIDI connector socket. I understand MIDI wiring is different than the old analogue audio but I thought the plug/sockets were the same physical size. They're not! The MIDI is smaller.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong or what socket I should be looking for? I've attached a photo of the Becker plug and socket.

Cheers,

Magical
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp plug and socket.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	272324  
Old 30th Jan 2023, 2:11 pm   #2
Magical
Triode

Default Re: Becker Mexico Radio Cassette Vollstereo 485 Amp Plug

I believe the plug was manufactured by Hirschmann. I’ve checked their catalogues and can’t find it at all.
Old 30th Jan 2023, 3:05 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Looks like the same family as the Hieschmann Wist connector used for revox remote controls

David
Old 30th Jan 2023, 3:14 pm   #4
Magical
Triode

David,

You are an absolute star. I believe you're right. I've searched high and low but now I've added Wist to the search I seem to be getting somewhere.

Thanks.

Magical
Old 30th Jan 2023, 3:34 pm   #5
Magical
Triode

I'm sure that is the correct connector.....they seem as rare as rocking horse doo doo...
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 12:55 am   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Looks like the same family as the Hieschmann Wist connector used for revox remote controls

David
Yes certainly does look the same type, the Revox remote being a 10 pin version (at least on my A77).

David
Old 5th Feb 2023, 1:44 pm   #7
Magical
Triode

I've ordered an 8 pin version from Germany. I'm certain it is the type used on Revox remote controllers as suggested by David and David. I'm not advertising or promoting these chaps in any way but my source is from eBay and costs about £23 delivered for a plug and socket. If anyone needs one here is the link:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124124525623

I rechecked the forum rules and I beliive that I'm within them.
Closed Thread