UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2021, 5:21 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Debouncing a pushbutton switch

I try to avoid equipment fitted with mechanical push-on push-off mains switches, which were popular in the 60s and 70s until manufacturers realised they were destined to fail and repairers realised they cannot be repaired with all their little wire and bronze springs and stamped paxolin bits. Once you've got a bit of processing onboard you can fit a simple push-to-make switch; for the power switch this will be a simple on-off function but multiple 'way' functions can also be implemented.

For some time I've been using a fairly basic monitor speaker for the everyday laptop and been forever frustrated by the absence of any debounce provision made by the manufacturer so it has needed about 5 pushes on average to switch it on. We all know that 10nF across the contacts usually cures this so I added one, which not only cures it but has the unexpected benefit that as soon as you switch on the mains for PC + monitor the monitor switches itself on. Bear this in mind if you specifically need the device not to start 'on'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny detail.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	226651  

It's good here
Old 13th Feb 2021, 5:57 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Debouncing a pushbutton switch

is the switch switching mains, or DC?

If it's switching DC then something using a 555 and a reed-relay would be my preferred approach.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 7:54 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Debouncing a pushbutton switch

All the works are fed from the mains transformer so it's switching DC with a small transistor or MOSFET, no point in replacing that with a relay. My 'timer' is smaller than yours and uses only one component!

It's good here
Closed Thread