UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2022, 6:59 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Canon Ixus 185 spare battery protector.

I know a few of you have at one time or another bought Canon Ixus 185 compact cameras, especially when they have been on offer from one of the German owned discount supermarkets.

Although the battery life is remarkably good, there have been occasions when I have been using mine all day and managed to run the battery down so I bought a spare. However, I really don't like carrying charged batteries around in my pockets along with car keys etc, so I set about looking for a protective carrying case for the battery.

As it turns out the sort of flat plastic case which CF cards and SD cards used to come in are a nearly perfect fit for the Canon NB-11L (or equivalent) batteries used in the Ixus 185, although you will have to snip out the internal supports which were originally meant to keep the CF or SD card centred within the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon_Ixus_185_BattHolder.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	270419  
Old 8th Jan 2023, 5:01 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Canon Ixus 185 spare battery protector.

Replacement batteries do come in a protective case.
Old 8th Jan 2023, 5:56 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It depends - the cheap Chinese ones I buy on eBay don't
Old 15th Feb 2023, 1:58 pm   #4
ortek_service
Octode

IIRC, the original NB-11LH (Higher capacity 800mAH version of the NB-11L) I had with my IXUS 175 came with a protective-clip to fit over the terminals.

And some years ago, I also managed to buy some Canon NB-11LH ones quite cheap from Chinese suppliers via the usual online marketplace sites, that also came with the protective-clip and were also in the same printed-markings blue-bag that the original came in. Also got some (from seller in Ireland, but actually got shipped from China?) in retail packaging.
These Canon-branded ones seemed to last as long as the original one, with the battery-level indicator working OK, so appear to be genuine
- Unlike the 'compatible' often unbranded ones, that don't usually come with the cover and even though some claim to be 1000mAh, none seem to last as long as originals / you don't get much warning of battery being low until battery-level symbol goes straight to flashing.
And I've been storing these as a set of 4 in an old DAT/DDS-tape box.

I've also bought used genuine Canon NB-11L(H) marked ones, often date-marked more recent than my original, and these have been as good as my original, which doesn't seem to have lost capacity over many years of frequent use. But I saw recently that new Canon NB-11LH ones were being sold again from China for about the same / a lot less than official Canon price.

I would have expected the IXUS 185 (successor to the IXUS 175?) would also come with the higher-capacity NB-11LH - Particularly as it's the only IXUS model still being sold (but now at a rather-higher £260!, and out-of stock at most places, as it seems most Digital Cameras have dramatically increased in price with fewer being produced now that most use Smartphones instead).
Closed Thread