UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2010, 7:50 pm   #1
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aid to trouble shooting PCBs

When repairing PC boards, I find that with my eyes zipping backwards and forwards between the schematic and the board, I frequently lose track of the IC pin of interest. Now I mark that pin with a dab from a red Sharpie pen and then I can bring my scope or DVM probe to the correct place every time. Other pins - other colours.
John.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 5:33 pm   #2

Default Re: Aid to trouble shooting PCBs

Neat, simple, I like it.

Old 1st Sep 2010, 10:00 pm   #3
glowinganode
Octode

Use different colours to mark grounds and power supply rails. Tesco do a pack of 4 dvd permanent markers with nice fine tips.
Rob.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 11:44 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Too simple for me to think of!
Nice tip.
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 12:15 pm   #5
threeseven
Octode

That was a tip given to me during my training by Philips when I worked at CES. I often used to find coloured dots applied by other Philips trained service engineers when I was working on equipment in for another visit, gave me a hint what they had been up to !

Another tip, I often find that I need to attach a probe to a component so that I can have my hands free to use test gear or whatever and there is no space on the lead out, or access is limited etc. So, get a short piece of resistor lead out or similar and solder it to the required pad on the PCB and instant test point to clip a prod to !
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 6:02 pm   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

This is a sensible idea that I could have done with today, tracing a fault on a board I'd just assembled. Turned out to be a track wrongly connected in one channel of a stereo device. Took some finding, naturally!
-Tony
Closed Thread