UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2021, 1:55 pm   #1
clockman
Pentode

Smile AvoMinor History

Hi i have just acquired this little vintage AvoMinor from about 1955 and was wondering if any one has memories of this little meter made by the Automatic Coil Winder & Electrical Equipment Co Ltd Winder House Douglas Street London SW1 .It measures 2.45 inches wide 1.45 inches deep and is identical to its big brother the Avo 8 and is complete with the instructions for use on the back . I have fitted a 1.5 volt battery and it is in perfect condition and Accurate on all ranges including Ohms .it now sits on the shelf next to my vintage clocks of the same age now saved for evermore TAB
Old 30th Jul 2021, 3:05 pm   #2
valveaudio
Hexode

Default Re: AvoMinor History

Have a look here.

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avominordata.html
Old 30th Jul 2021, 7:07 pm   #3
clockman
Pentode

Smile Re: AvoMinor History

Thanks for the info Amazing loads of detail i did not realize they went back as far as 1935 the year i was born. TAB
Old 30th Jul 2021, 7:32 pm   #4
Superscope
Octode

Depending on how much you want to get into Avo Minors,
a search on this very Forum will bring up quite a bit of info
as well, especially regarding Maintenance and Repairs.

We have at least one very Knowledgeable Avo Minor person
on here, and at least one for the DC Avo Minor.

Incidently, Avo Serial Numbers are always welcome over on the
"Avo Multimeter survey" Sticky Thread

Ian
Old 30th Jul 2021, 8:47 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

One impressive thing about the DC Avominor is how light in weight it is. Even the glass is about 1mm (40 thou) thick. They are capable of collecting an impressive amount and assortment of grot in the terminals unless they've been boxed! There's no nickel plating in there so neglected purchases sometimes benefit from polishing.

Dave
Closed Thread